Tennis champ McEnroe helps to nab art dealer Lawrence SalanderMarch 27th, 2009 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar. 27 (ANI): Former tennis champion John McEnroe helped prosecutors to nab Art gallery owner Lawrence Salander, who was arrested on hundred counts of larceny, fraud, forgery, and perjury.
Salander, 59, is accused of stealing millions, including two million dollars from the famed tennis star.
The bankrupt gallery owner was once a respected figure in the New York art world, and is said to have swindling two-dozen investors and clients out of 88 million dollars to finance his extravagant lifestyle.
“He’d just sell paintings that he didn’t own. He’d have all kinds of excuses for why he couldn’t make immediate delivery,” the Daily News quoted Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau, as saying.
Salander also double-sold shares in paintings to unwitting investors. That’s allegedly how McEnroe, an ardent collector, lost two million dollars.
Salander said he would sell abstract expressionist Arshile Gorky’s Pirate I and Pirate II, and split the profits with McEnroe, prosecutors said.
“Unbeknownst to McEnroe, Salander sold the same half interest to a banker named Morton Bender, officials said. Then he sold Pirate II for 2.5 million dollars and pocketed all the proceeds,” prosecutors said.
McEnroe found out and forced Salander to turn over Pirate I, which he then put on exhibit at Christie’s. When McEnroe tried to get it back from the auction house last year, he was rebuffed because Bender had a lien on it.
McEnroe hit Salander with a civil suit in 2007. Prosecutors then contacted him.
Salander has also been sued by Robert DeNiro, who alleged that he sold a dozen of his father’s paintings. The DeNiro paintings aren’t part of the 100-count indictment, but the probe isn’t over. (ANI)
- Art dealer pleads guilty to duping De Niro, McEnroe among others in $120M fraud case - Mar 19, 2010
- Robert De Niro becomes victim of New York art scam - Jul 15, 2009
- Salander scams $1 mil. from Robert De Niro art works - Jul 15, 2009
- Robert De Niro reclaims late father's artwork - Mar 17, 2010
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- Kingfisher was official beer at New York tennis tourney - Jul 27, 2012
- Aggassi inducted into US Open Court of Champions - Sep 10, 2012
- McEnroe's 'women weaker than men' claim leaves fairer sex fuming - Aug 28, 2010
- Djokovic Wins The Crowd During His Late Night Duel With "Johny Mac" - Sep 09, 2009
- Women tennis fans slam McEnroe for 'patronizing' comments about female athletes - Aug 30, 2010
- McEnroe's ghostly image appears in cloud formation in Bristol - Oct 02, 2010
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Freeman to receive lifetime achievement award - Nov 11, 2011
- McEnroe blames Murray's over tennising and training for humiliating US Open loss - Sep 10, 2009
- McEnroe advises Australian tennis champ Hewitt to consider retirement - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: abstract expressionist, ardent collector, art gallery owner, auction house, champion john, civil suit, count indictment, extravagant lifestyle, fraud forgery, gorky, john mcenroe, larceny, manhattan district attorney, new york art, robert deniro, robert morgenthau, salander, tennis champion, tennis star, york art world