Tendulkar first time Man of the Match in IPLApril 19th, 2009 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Cape Town, April 19 (IANS) Sachin Tendulkar was adjudged the Man of the Match for the first time in the Indian Premier League (IPL) after he led Mumbai Indians to a victory against last year’s finalists Chennai Sper Kings here Saturday.
Tendulkar scored his second fifty in the competition, remaining unbeaten with 59, his first fifty plus score coming May last year when he made 65 against Kings XI at the Wankhede Stadium.
The other statistical highlights of the opening match in the second edition of the IPL:
– Mumbai Indians posted their eighth victory in 15 IPL games. They have now won two out of three contested against Chennai Super Kings.
— Mumbai Indians have won two games in succession against Chennai. They had defeated Chennai by nine wickets at Wankhede Stadium on May 14, 2008 in their previous meeting.
– Lasith Malinga (3/15) has produced his career-best bowling figures in Twenty20. His figures are the best for Mumbai Indians against Chennai Super Kings, bettering the 3 for 33 by Dhawal Kulkarni at the Wankhede Stadium on May 14, 2008.
– Manpreet Gony is the leading bowler for Chennai in the IPL. His 19 wickets at an average of 25.00 in 17 matches, obliterated Albie Morkel’s tally of 17 at 23.47 runs apiece in 13 matches.
– Mumbai (166/7) posted their second highest total against Chennai, next only to their 202 for seven at Chennai on April 23, 2008.
– Jayasuriya has taken his run-aggregate in the IPL to 540 at an average of 41.53, surpassing Gautam Gambhir’s tally of 534 in 14 innings at an average of 41.07.
– Parthiv Patel’s second-ball duck is his second in the IPL. In the first edition of the IPL, he had posted a first-ball duck against Rajasthan Royals at Jaipur.