Tendulkar bats for tiger conservationMarch 17th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hamilton, March 17 (IANS) India’s cricketing great Sachin Tendulkar Tuesday batted for tiger conservation, alarmed by their fast decline.
“At the start of the century, there were nearly 40,000 tigers in India. Today, that number has shrunk to 1,700 and we are losing at least one tiger a month. The rate at which the tiger is being hunted down is alarming,” said Tendulkar.
Tendulkar signed the Team Indian tiger banner — “Together, we can do whatever we can to save the tiger.”
Tendulkar said if people do not wake up to the reality now, the day is not far when there would be no tigers left in the world.
“We all know there was an animal called a dinosaur. Tomorrow, we would probably be talking about the tiger in a similar way to our future generations. Something needs to be done soon to stop the tiger from vanishing from our forests,” he said.
“This majestic species is a symbol of India’s rich and diverse wildlife heritage. It is in our best interests to ensure that this magnificent animal is not wiped out.”
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- Cat and mouse game over Rajasthan's tigers - Jun 29, 2011
- Only ancient wisdom can save India's 'sacred' animals - Sep 05, 2010
- India might prohibit tiger-tourism in near future - Apr 28, 2010
- Pakistan doesn't have a single lion, tiger, rhino - Nov 07, 2010
- Highways through Indian tiger reserves will destroy habitat - Apr 16, 2012
- School kids plea to president to save forests - Nov 14, 2011
- East Asia drives trade in wildlife parts, says report - Jul 28, 2011
- Eye on tiger: Satellites to track Sariska's big cats - Jul 14, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh to welcome 60 African cheetahs (Lead, Correcting word in para four) - Aug 25, 2011
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Tibet vulnerable to climate change, says Karmapa - Nov 24, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan appeals for help tp protect tigers - Jul 15, 2012
- Sariska to get two Ranthambore tiger cubs - Jul 29, 2011
- Vulture conservation gets a boost through Ramlilas in Uttarakhand - Sep 29, 2009
Tags: bats, cricketing, decline, dinosaur, forests, future generations, india today, indian tiger, magnificent animal, majestic species, march 17, sachin tendulkar, tiger, tiger conservation, tigers, wildlife heritage