Ten wounded in Israeli strikes on GazaNovember 22nd, 2009 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Nov 22 (DPA) At least 10 Palestinians were injured in three successive Israeli airstrikes overnight and early Sunday on the southern, central and northern Gaza Strip, medical officials and the Israeli military said.
They said the aircraft fired two air-to-ground missiles at the borderline area between southern Gaza Strip and the Sinai Peninsula, completely destroying three tunnels used for smuggling.
Mo’aweya Hassanein, the head of the Gaza Strip emergency services, told reporters that at least five Palestinians were injured in this attack. Five Palestinians were wounded in the two other airstrikes, he said.
The second airstrike was carried out early Sunday, when Israeli aircraft hit what Palestinians said was a goldsmith’s shop, and the Israeli military said was a weapons-manufacturing facility, near al-Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza Strip.
Palestinians also said the third strike targeted a metal workshop in northern Gaza City. A statement from the Israeli military said the facility manufactured weapons.
The three Israeli airstrikes came after militants launched two mortar shells, and one makeshift missile, at Israel Saturday.
The launches conform to a sporadic pattern since Israel’s fierce offensive against Gaza militants ended Jan 18.
The militant groups have fired far few projectiles at Israel - close on 270 rockets and mortar shells - since the offensive ended, compared to the more than 3,300 fired in 2008.
The interior minister of the de-facto Hamas government in the coastal strip, Fathi Hamad, said Saturday that Gaza militant organisations had agreed top stop rocket fire at Israel. He added however that “resistance would be allowed” in case of Israeli
- Israel bombs weapons factory, two tunnels in Gaza - Nov 19, 2009
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Three Palestinians killed in Gaza Strip - Sep 13, 2010
- Israeli warplanes strike in Gaza, five injured - Apr 02, 2010
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Two killed in Israeli strike against Gaza - Jul 22, 2010
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel hits Gaza tunnels, weapons plant - Nov 19, 2009
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Two Hamas gunmen killed in Gaza - Sep 20, 2009
- Two killed in Israeli air strikes on Gaza - Mar 05, 2009
- Israeli army strikes Gaza militant targets, four injured - Jan 02, 2010
Tags: airstrike, coastal strip, fathi, gaza city, gaza strip, hamad, interior minister, israeli aircraft, israeli attacks, israeli military, medical officials, metal workshop, militant groups, mortar shells, projectiles, refugee camp, rocket fire, sinai peninsula, southern gaza strip, third strike