Ten killed in US shooting spreeMarch 11th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 11 (DPA) A gunman killed at least nine people in a shooting spree in the US state of Alabama before taking his own life, the state’s department of public safety said.
The Tuesday spree in a mostly rural area involved shootings in at least four locations, a police statement said.
The gunman, who was described as carrying a semi-automatic weapon, is believed to have acted alone.
The first gunfire was reported late Tuesday in the town of Samson, where a total of six adults and a child were found shot to death inside three houses.
After leaving the town, the gunman is believed to have opened fire on an Alabama state trooper on a highway. The trooper suffered minor injuries from broken glass and his squad car was struck by seven bullets.
Two more victims were shot to death along the same highway, one at a business and the second at a petrol filling station.
Outside the nearby town of Geneva, the gunman is suspected of unleashing 30 rounds at a metal manufacturing company with police in pursuit. The Geneva police chief was wounded.
The suspect entered the small factory, and police followed after hearing more gunfire to find the body of the gunman with an apparent self-inflicted bullet wound.
Authorities were investigating a possible related arson at a house in another part of southern Alabama, where the body of a potential 10th victim was found. Several people were wounded in the shooting spree.
- New York gunman kills one, injures 10; shot dead (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Elderly man kills 2 doctors before killing self in southwestern Germany - Mar 07, 2012
- Eight People killed in Alabama Shooting - Mar 11, 2009
- Gunman kills five in New York, shot dead (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Eight killed, one injured in Ohio shooting spree - Aug 08, 2011
- Kentucky Shooting: Stanley Neace goes on killing spree - Sep 12, 2010
- US investigating Sikh gurdwara shooting as domestic terrorism - Aug 06, 2012
- Three killed in shooting near US varsity (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Gunman kills 11 at Rio de Janeiro school before killing self - Apr 07, 2011
- Gunman kills four in US - Aug 30, 2010
- Eight killed in Iraq violence - Aug 16, 2011
- New York gunman kills one; shot dead (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Gunman kills five, self at US skating rink - Jul 24, 2011
- Obama denounces Sikh Gurudwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Britain shooting leaves 13 dead, 25 injured (Second Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: alabama state trooper, automatic weapon, broken glass, bullet wound, department of public safety, gunfire, gunman, metal manufacturing company, minor injuries, nearby town, petrol filling station, police statement, rural area, shooting spree, six adults, southern alabama, squad car, state of alabama, three houses, town of geneva