Ten killed in German school shooting (Lead)March 11th, 2009 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Winnenden (Germany), March 11 (DPA) A gunman on a shooting spree killed 10 people at a school in German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg Wednesday, the state’s interior ministry said.
Nine of the victims were students. The tenth was shot dead while the gunman was fleeing. The police later arrested a suspect.
Several students were injured in the 9.30 a.m. (0830 GMT) attack in the Albertville school in the southern town of Winnenden, near Stuttgart.
The attacker is thought to be a 17-year-old youth, who was already known to the police, sources told DPA.
German n-tv television news channel has reported that he may be a former pupil of the school.
The gunman, who was wearing a black combat uniform, fled after the attack and was seen heading for the town centre.
“The attacker just started shooting wildly,” the television news channel n-tv quoted a witness as saying.
The police have sealed off the school and the town centre of Winnenden, 25 km northeast of Stuttgart.
Motorists have been warned not to take any hitchhikers.
The news comes hours after at least 11 people were killed in a shooting spree in the US state of Alabama, Tuesday.
- Gunman kills two in German school - Mar 11, 2009
- Sixteen killed in German school shooting spree (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2009
- Merkel expresses shock on death of 16 in German school shooting - Mar 12, 2009
- Three killed in French school shooting (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- German school gunman had announced plans in advance - Mar 12, 2009
- Five Russian journalists set free by Libyan rebels - Apr 09, 2011
- German Chancellor Merkel delays extending lifespan of nuclear reactors - Mar 15, 2011
- Gerd Mueller proud of German team's ethnic diversity - Jul 02, 2010
- Economic crisis hits Indian film festival in Germany - Jul 12, 2009
- Four die as gunman goes on rampage in Britain - Jun 02, 2010
- Four die in shooting outside school in France (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Two dead in German court shooting - Apr 07, 2009
- Eight killed, one injured in Ohio shooting spree - Aug 08, 2011
- Shooting in Germany School Takes 11 Lives - Mar 12, 2009
Tags: albertville school, attacker, baden wuerttemberg, dpa, german school shooting, german state, germany march, gunman, hitchhikers, interior ministry, march 11, motorists, police sources, pupil, shooting spree, state of alabama, television news, tv television, witness