Teenager used Facebook to incite brawlsApril 11th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, April 11 (IANS) An Australian teenager has been charged with using social networking website Facebook to incite brawls at a shopping centre.
Joseph Agius, 19, appeared at a court in New South Wales Monday. He was charged with using the internet to create a threat that was found to be hoax, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Police said that between Feb 20 and March 3, Agius made numerous threats and comments relating to fights and violence at a shopping centre in Tweed Heads town.
Over 5,500 people visited the Facebook page Agius created to promote brawls and 400 youths said they would attend one of them.
Police gathered at the shopping centre, but eventually the fight did not take place.
Agius pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- Massive brawl breaks out between rival gangs at Oz shopping centre - Feb 04, 2011
- Facebook's decision to guard 'illegal contents' spurs debate over free speech on internet - Dec 13, 2010
- Teenager asked Facebook friends to kill one million cops - Aug 26, 2011
- Australian cops alert as Facebook chatter hints racial brawl - Aug 06, 2010
- Jack Tweed and Mark Wright appear in court - Feb 23, 2011
- London riots: Two face jail for inciting on Facebook - Aug 13, 2011
- London riots: Facebook plotters jailed for four years - Aug 17, 2011
- Italian police shut down 'bullying' Facebook page - Dec 04, 2010
- Kiwi man jailed for posting nude pic of ex-girlfriend on Facebook - Nov 13, 2010
- Jihadists flood web with anti-British messages - Aug 11, 2011
- It's now Facebook, Twitter, Youtube for candidates in local polls - Apr 06, 2012
- Facebook, Apple may be balkanising the web - Apr 16, 2012
- Indonesian arrested for not believing in god - Jan 22, 2012
- Man jailed for vandalising Facebook pages - Mar 25, 2011
- Rhode Island Prison Guard Matthew Lacroix Arrested For Pretending To Be His Boss On Facebook - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,