Teen sailor Jessica Watson’s dad feared he might not see her againJuly 25th, 2010 - 4:39 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, July 25 (ANI): Roger Watson says he was afraid of losing his daughter Jessica before the teen Aussie sailor made her record-breaking trip around the world.
Watson, even as he acknowledged Jessica’s ability as a sailor, was unwilling to leave anything to chance in the months leading up to her departure at the end of 2009, he has revealed.
While a team of volunteers worked to ready her boat for the trip, the nervous dad was at pains to double-check all safety precautions had been taken.
“Quite often I would stay back at the boat afterwards and have a look at what they’d done. There were people that I didn’t know. This is my daughter. Every nut and bolt, every last screw, I would check,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Watson, as saying.
He added: “Every contingency was planned for, but there was still that thought that when we waved her goodbye it could have been goodbye. Jess might not have been coming back.”
However, Jessica claims to have had no such reservations about making the seven-month journey over 24,285 nautical miles.
She said: “It sounds really weird but the waves make a different noise when they run a different way. You’d know as soon as the boat changed course just by listening to the sounds. I always knew.” (ANI)
- Solo round-the-world Oz sailor reveals love interest - May 23, 2010
- Australian PM welcomes youngest around-the-world sailor - May 16, 2010
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- US teen joins race for youngest round-the-world sailor - Jan 25, 2010
- Anurag attends Kalki's ramp show - Aug 20, 2011
- Oz teen completes round-the-world sail - May 15, 2010
- Teenage solo sailor rescued in Indian Ocean - Jun 12, 2010
- Mum reveals Oz solo sailor's dyslexia hell - Jan 31, 2010
- DiCaprio organises annual vacation with celebrity friends - Jan 24, 2011
- Global solo sailor Watson banned from Sydney to Hobart race due to age - Nov 25, 2010
- Chew well, keep slim, says Paltrow - May 11, 2012
- Jessica Watson Returns To Australia After Completion Of Sailing Across World - May 15, 2010
- Ignoring best policy: Alba on rumours - Mar 18, 2012
- Alba wants daughter to be trilingual - Nov 14, 2010
- I was a shy teen: Biel - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: aussie, contingency, dad, daily telegraph, daughter jessica, jess, jessica watson, journey, melbourne, nautical miles, roger watson, safety precautions, screw, trip around the world, volunteers, waves