Teen dies at Brazil amusement parkFebruary 26th, 2012 - 11:55 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Feb 26 (IANS/EFE) A 14-year-old Brazilian girl died when she flew out of her seat in a free-fall attraction at an amusement park in the Brazilian city of Vinhedo, authorities said.
The teenager, identified as Gabriela Yokuri Michelari, who was living in Japan and spent her vacations in Brazil with her parents, fell from the Eiffel Tower attraction, a 70-meter drop.
According to the fire department in Jundiai, the city where the girl was taken, the victim suffered a blow to the head and died before doctors had a chance to treat her.
Witnesses said that the teen, who was with her parents, Brazilians of Japanese origin, fell Friday from the mechanical attraction from a height of 30 meters at the instant the cushioning effect was activated to brake the fall.
Other people who rode the same attraction told reporters that apparently the security catch of the girl’s seat opened at the moment the brakes were applied and she fell through the air all the way to the ground.
The attraction, in which five people ride sitting side by side, reaches a speed of 5 meters per second as the free-fall hits a speed of 98 kph.
Commissioner Alvaro Santucci Noventa Junior, who is leading the investigation, said that witnesses and amusement park employees will be questioned and the machine will be inspected to determine whether the accident was caused by human error or mechanical failure.
The amusement park said “it is providing all possible assistence to the victim’s family and is aiding the organizations investigating the cause of the accident”.
- 15-year-old girl dies in an amusement park in a ride - Jul 19, 2010
- Argentina railway accident toll climbs to 50 - Feb 24, 2012
- 3 die as car crashes into horse in Brazil - Dec 12, 2010
- Five die in Brazil when elevator crashes - Apr 22, 2012
- Eight die as truck ploughs into Brazil procession - Dec 10, 2011
- Mexican singer operated for face injury - Jul 16, 2011
- Derailed streetcar leaves five dead in Rio de Janeiro - Aug 29, 2011
- Mexican singer needs more dental surgery after bad fall - Aug 12, 2011
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Chinese firm to send Spanish robot to moon - Aug 17, 2012
- 49 dead, 600 injured in railway accident in Argentina - Feb 23, 2012
- TV actress Maria Gabriela de Faria to debut in movies - Aug 22, 2012
- Brazil lights world's largest floating Christmas tree - Nov 28, 2011
- Skater Jumps From Eiffel Tower And Sets Record - Jun 01, 2010
- Danish woman survives 1,000 meters (3,280 feet) fall - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: amusement park, assistence, authorities, brakes, brazilian city, brazilian girl, brazilians, doctors, eiffel tower, fire department, gabriela, human error, japanese origin, kph, living in japan, mechanical failure, santucci, sao paulo, teenager, vacations