Tearful Benazir thanks people of PakistanNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:28 am ICT by admin
“I am overwhelmed to be back,” she said as her entourage slowly moved towards the heart of the city where she will be addressing a mammoth rally later in the day.
‘I am sure that democracy will be restored in Pakistan,” she added.
Soon after her Emirates flight arrived here she headed off to the mausoleum of Pakistan’s founder Qaid-e-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah to pay homage.
Taking into consideration that there might be an assassination attempt by forces owing allegiance to al Qaeda and Taliban, Pakistan’s Interior Ministry ensured multi-layered security arrangements for the dignitary.
She is expected to stay in Karachi for three days, after which she will proceed to her hometown Larkana and to neighbouring Naudero to offer prayers at her late father and former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto’s grave.
Thereafter, she will leave for Islamabad for possible talks with President General Pervez Musharraf.
She is also scheduled to undertake a road trip to Lahore.
Bhutto is the second former Prime Minister to return to Pakistan during the incumbency of the Musharraf regime. Earlier, PML (N) leader Nawaz Sharif had arrived in Islamabad, only to be bundled back to Saudi Arabia. He has announced that he would make a second attempt to return after November 15. (ANI)
- Pakistan mourns Nusrat Bhutto's death - Oct 24, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto dies, Pakistan declares mourning - Oct 23, 2011
- Zardari returns to Pakistan (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Musharraf and his men behind Bhutto killing: Pakistani scribe - Feb 17, 2011
- Bhutto heads for Jinnah's mausoleum and her upmarket Clifton residence - Nov 14, 2007
- Pakistan launches website to promote history - Aug 15, 2011
- PPP to observe Benazir's 58th birthday Tuesday - Jun 20, 2011
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Nusrat Bhutto was woman of dignity, courage: Daily - Oct 24, 2011
- Benazir's cavalcade slowly inching towards Mazar-e-Quaid (Final lead:Benazir) - Nov 14, 2007
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Zardari returns to Pakistan from Dubai (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Musharraf sent questionnaire on Benazir Bhutto murder - Dec 24, 2010
- Arrest warrant issued against Musharraf (Second Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: benazir, entourage, former prime minister, general pervez musharraf, incumbency, islamabad, karachi, layered security, mohammed ali jinnah, musharraf regime, nawaz sharif, owing allegiance, pakistan, party supporters, prayers, qaid, taking into consideration, zulfikar ali bhutto