Tattoo solves seven-year-old murder caseApril 23rd, 2011 - 4:30 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 23 (IANS/EFE) A murder in the US that took place in 2004 was solved after the police noticed a detailed image of the crime tattooed on the chest of a street-gang member.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department homicide investigator Kevin Lloyd couldn’t believe his eyes when, flipping through photos of gang members, he saw Rivera 13 gangster Anthony Garcia sporting a tattoo that depicted the 2004 murder in Pico Rivera.
Garcia was arrested in 2008 at a police checkpoint on suspicion of driving without a license, and, as is standard practice with gang members, was photographed shirtless before his release to document any identifying tattoos.
Drawn on his chest was the detailed image of a crime that the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department had been working on fruitlessly for four years - the killing of a rival gang member, 23-year-old John Juarez.
The tattoo, whose image was provided Friday by the sheriff’s department, contained all the details of the crime - Christmas lights corresponding to the date of the murder, the name of the street, the liquor store where the slaying occurred and even the position of the victim’s body where it fell after being shot.
Over the image were tattooed the words “Rivera Kills”, a reference to the murder committed by the gang Garcia belonged to, Rivera 13.
In the drawing, the shots come from a small helicopter representing Garcia’s gang nickname, “Chopper”.
The body of the slain youth is characterised by a peanut, a reference to the belittling name that gang members call their rivals.
Thanks to the tattoo, the sheriff’s department was able to reopen investigations and obtain a quick confession from Anthony Garcia, enabling charges to be filed against him and finally ending with his conviction of first degree murder.
Garcia will be sentenced next month.
- Mexicans paint murals to highlight crime problem - Sep 11, 2012
- California man tries to run over girlfriend after she turns down marriage proposal - Nov 12, 2010
- Three women tortured, killed in El Salvador - Jan 16, 2012
- Singer gunned down in Mexico - Nov 15, 2011
- Asian-origin girl, paralysed in shooting, faces tough life - Mar 26, 2012
- Disappearance of teen Mexican reporter being probed - Sep 24, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Guatemala busts gang blamed for 18 rapes - Jun 09, 2012
- Journalist kidnapped in Mexico - May 19, 2012
- Gunmen kill eight at Guatemala disco - Jan 23, 2012
- Two die as chopper crashes on Mexican street - Oct 22, 2011
- Five taxi drivers killed in Mexican city - Feb 22, 2012
- Hollywood stars Hayek, Banderas shatter stereotypes - Oct 28, 2011
- Mexican women's rights activist shot at - Dec 04, 2011
- Police chief murdered in Mexican town - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: chopper, christmas lights, confession, conviction, driving without a license, first degree murder, gang members, gangster, homicide investigator, kevin lloyd, l a county sheriff, liquor store, los angeles county, los angeles county sheriff, murder case, pico rivera, police checkpoint, rival gang member, rivals, street gang