Tasmanian Senator confirms family ties with Nazi war criminalMarch 3rd, 2008 - 10:11 am ICT by admin
Melbourne, Mar.3 (ANI): A Tasmanian Senator has confirmed that he is distantly related to a Nazi war criminal.
Eric Abetz of the Liberal Party and the Opposition’s deputy leader in the Senate, said his great uncle was Otto Abetz, a high-ranking SS officer during World War II.
Otto Abetz sent tens of thousands of Jews to their deaths. He was Adolf Hitler’s ambassador to France from 1940 to 1944. Abetz was convicted for war crimes, including the deportation of French Jews to death camps, and looted Jewish art worth millions of dollars, reports news.com.au.
Senator Abetz, who arrived in Australia in 1961 from Germany, said: “I never met my grandfather’s brother, Otto Abetz. I ask all Australians to judge me on my public conduct rather than on the past of my father’s uncle. I have dedicated myself to public service and furthering democratic freedoms.”
Neither Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson nor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd have commented on the issue. (ANI)
- Hitler ordered creation of Nazi UFOs to destroy London, New York - Apr 26, 2011
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Nazi surgical set withdrawn from auction - Feb 11, 2012
- Revealed: French stained glass window depicting Hitler as King Herod - Jan 17, 2011
- Hitler tried to build flying saucers to attack London, New York - Apr 26, 2011
- 'Five-star jails' used for Hitler's 'special' prisoners of war, reveals tell-all - Mar 19, 2011
- Hitler's exhibition in Berlin extended due to throngs of visitors - Jan 07, 2011
- 'Nazi princess' daughter of SS head still the heroine of shadowy Nazi group - Dec 02, 2010
- Most wanted Nazi fugitive hiding in Germany - Jul 06, 2010
- World's most wanted Nazi held at 97 - Jul 19, 2012
- Hitler's gold dental fillings were torn from mouths of Jews - Oct 09, 2009
- An 'American Schindler' who helped 4,000 Jews escape from the Nazis - Aug 18, 2010
- Nazi soldiers given highly addictive crystal meth to fight longer, harder - Mar 31, 2011
- Bin Laden news comes on anniversary after 'Mission Accomplished" - May 02, 2011
- Israeli pageant crowns Miss Holocaust Survivor - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: adolf hitler, ambassador, australians, brendan nelson, death camps, democratic freedoms, deportation, deputy leader, family ties, french jews, jewish art, liberal party, nazi war criminal, news com au, opposition leader, otto abetz, senator abetz, ss officer, war crimes, world war ii