Tanzania ready for torch relay: officialApril 11th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by admin
Dar es Salaam, April 11 (Xinhua) A Tanzanian Olympic official said that they are ready to welcome the Olympic flame in Tanzania’s largest city of Dar es Salaam, the only city to host the 2008 torch relay in Africa. “The torch relay of the Beijing Olympic Games is called a journey of harmony, which means it is a journey for peace,” said Filbert Bayi, secretary general of the Tanzanian Olympic Committee (TOC) Thursday.
“I am sure when the (Olympic) torch comes to Tanzania, especially in Dar es Salaam which is dubbed as the harbour of peace, everything will be put in right place and we are ready to receive the Olympic torch.”
In response to the disruption activities against the torch relay in Paris, Bayi stressed that politics should not be mixed with sports and the Olympics.
“The Olympic Games is about friendship, peace, environment and togetherness. The torch is just the beginning of the Olympic Games. As we are sports people, we do not want to take the torch relay as part of politics,” Bayi told Xinhua.
Tanzanian sports officials and city dwellers are all very happy to learn that the Olympic flame is coming to town, said Bayi.
“The upcoming torch relay will strengthen the relations between China and Tanzania,” said the general secretary. “The friendship between our two countries can be dated back to a long time ago. At that time we have got the TAZARA railway and nowadays we have got a national stadium with the help of China. Many Chinese are doing business in Dar es Salaam, although we do not have a Chinese town.”
The Tanzania-Zambia Railway (TAZARA), dubbed as “Uhuru Railway” which means Freedom Railway in Swahili, links Dar es Salaam and New Kapiri Mposhi in Zambia. It was built between 1970 and 1975 with Chinese help.
“Our friendship has grown up. When the Olympics comes to China, as a friend of China, Tanzania have been given a chance to host the torch relay,” said Bayn who will be a torchbearer Sunday.
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- Heart-to-heart: Apollo to open hospital in Tanzania - May 27, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Large explosions rock army ammo bunker in Tanzanian city - Feb 17, 2011
- India taps IT power to woo African youth - May 28, 2011
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Chinese pianist Lang carries Olympic torch in London - Jul 23, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Large blasts rock army ammo bunker in Tanzanian city, casualties unknown - Feb 17, 2011
- England football legend Jack Charlton to run Olympic torch relay - Jun 15, 2012
- Manmohan gets red carpet welcome on Tanzania visit - May 26, 2011
- India-Pakistan cricket bonhomie in the heart of East Africa - Mar 30, 2011
- Building 'bridges of friendship' in Tanzania, the Indian way - May 27, 2011
- Africa looks to India for IT success - Mar 30, 2011
- Manmohan departs after landmark Africa trip (Lead) - May 28, 2011
Tags: beijing, city dwellers, disruption, doing business, general secretary, harmony, olympic committee, olympic flame, olympic games, olympic official, olympic torch, olympics, railway, secretary general, sports officials, swahili, togetherness, torch relay, torchbearer, xinhua