Tamils block railtracks at main German railway hubMay 17th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Frankfurt, May 17 (DPA) German-based Tamils, protesting the Sri Lankan Army’s operations against Tamil Tiger rebels in the island nation, Sunday blocked the tracks at the Frankfurt Railway Station, one of Germany’s main rail hubs.
Federal police, charged with keeping transportation safe, said they counted 150 protesters who had descended from station platforms and were occupying several tracks, blocking rail operations.
Organisers of the demonstration claimed 500 people were taking part.
Neither side said anybody had been arrested. The station is a main terminus with 24 platforms that handle inter-city expresses and local trains.
Hours earlier, the Sri Lankan government said it had won the war. The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) rebels announced they would lay down their arms.
The Tamils charge the government with inhumanity to tens of thousands of minority Tamils in the former rebel zone.
- Tamils block railtracks at German railway hub - May 18, 2009
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
- Sri Lanka to track down overseas rebel links - Jul 24, 2010
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Five jailed by Hague court for helping LTTE - Oct 22, 2011
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- German police arrest six Tamil separatists - Mar 05, 2010
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka protests over LTTE stamps in France - Jan 03, 2012
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- No LTTE camp in Tamil Nadu, say police - Mar 10, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamils protest Sonia Gandhi's London visit - Mar 18, 2011
- LTTE is not being trained in Tamil Nadu - Apr 02, 2012
- Pakistan to help de-mining in Sri Lanka - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: federal police, german railway, hubs, inhumanity, inter city, island nation, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte rebels, minority tamils, protesters, rail operations, railway hub, railway station, rebel zone, sri lankan army, sri lankan government, station platforms, tamil tiger rebels, terminus