Tamil women begin new hunger strike off Indonesian coastNovember 9th, 2009 - 3:25 pm ICT by ANI
Merak (Java, Indonesia), Nov.9 (ANI): Ten women among a group of almost 250 Sri Lankan asylum seekers refusing to leave their boat in Indonesia have begun another hunger strike.The move comes after the spokesman for the Tamils, known as Alex, confessed he was once a member of a violent gang in Canada and was jailed for making death threats.The Tamils, who were intercepted by the Indonesian navy en route to Australia on October 11, have now spent four weeks moored in the Javanese port city of Merak.
According to news.com.au, they have said they will come ashore after they meet with a representative of the UNHCR but claim the Indonesian government is refusing to allow such a meeting.
Most adults on board the boat took part in a hunger strike last month but abandoned it after two days.
Alex was deported in 2003 and returned to Sri Lanka.
Alex said the Sri Lankan Government dug up the dirt because it was desperate to divert attention from its role in human rights abuses, particularly against Tamils. (ANI)
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- Detained asylum-seekers' spokesman 'Alex' a smuggler: Sri Lankan Govt. - Nov 07, 2009
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Indonesia plans to send detained Sri Lankan asylum seekers home - Nov 16, 2009
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- Tamil asylum seekers caught in Indonesian waters say they face genocide in Sri Lanka - Oct 18, 2009
- 36 Sri Lankans deported, reach Colombo (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Indonesian navy arrests 260 Sri Lankan migrants - Oct 12, 2009
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Australian Government defers processing of Sri Lankan, Afghan asylum claims - Apr 09, 2010
- Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smuggling - Jul 25, 2012
- Tamil deportations stopped from Britain - Jun 01, 2012
- Sri Lankan refugees in Malaysian camp go on hunger strike - Oct 23, 2009
- Australia intercepts boats carrying more than 300 asylum seekers - May 07, 2012
Tags: adults, alex, asylum seekers, death threats, dirt, human rights abuses, hunger strike, indonesian government, java indonesia, javanese, merak, navy, news com au, october 11, spokesman, sri lankan government, tamil women, tamils, unhcr, violent gang