Tamil Canadian sets Guinness record by watching TV for 72 hoursFebruary 9th, 2009 - 11:08 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, Feb 9 (IANS) Sri Lanka-born, Toronto-based Joachim, who already has 53 Guinness records to his credit, added yet another Sunday by watching television non-stop for 72 hours in Stockholm.
In the process, the 39-year-old broke his own previous record of 69 hours and 48 minutes established in September 2005 at the ABC studios in New York.
A holder of many Guinness records, Joachim was invited by Sweden’s television TV4 network to compete against a Swedish challenger.
The shy unassuming Joachim, who lives with his wife in the city of Mississauga on the outskirts of Toronto, said he spent his time watching episodes of a drama series and drinking cups of coffee. His record-breaking feat began at 8 p.m. Thursday and ended Sunday evening.
Joachim said attempts were made by other people to break the record during the past three years, but nobody succeeded.
Before leaving Toronto for Stockholm, Joachim said he was approached by the Swedish television network to compete with a Swedish challenger.
Major records in his name include the longest karaoke marathon (25 hours, 49 minutes), the longest radio broadcast (120 hours), the longest time standing on one foot (76 hours, 40 minutes), and the longest bout of ironing clothes (55 hours, five minutes).
Joachim has drummed continuously for 84 hours; run on a treadmill for 168 hours to cover 659.27 km; bowled for 168 hours; carried a 4.5 kg brick for 135.5 km; crawled non-stop for 56.62 km; dribbled a basketball for 156.71 km in 24 hours; danced for 100 hours continuously; moon walked for 24 hours; performed at a non-stop musical for 42 hours; and pushed a car for 19.2 km in 24 hours, among other feats.
- Tamil Canadian watches TV for 72 hours, sets Guinness record (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- New Zealand mayor sets longest interview record - Apr 30, 2012
- Sri Lankan breaks own world record viewing TV for 72 hrs straight! - Feb 09, 2009
- Argentine beats India's Guinness record in guitar marathon - May 19, 2010
- Assam cop is longest barefoot runner in world - Apr 17, 2012
- Non-stop, 32-hour yoga sets Guinness record - Aug 04, 2010
- Gujarat sets 6 Guinness records in golden jubilee year - Jun 14, 2011
- Malaysian Indian walks 44 km backward to create record - Apr 20, 2011
- Rabindra dance marathon lands her in Guinness book - Apr 26, 2012
- Assam constable runs 156 km barefoot - Jan 31, 2012
- Cuban man sets fifth Guinness record - Nov 21, 2011
- 'Simpsons' fan to attempt world record by watching 451 episodes in one go - Jan 15, 2010
- What Guinness? My job is to run: 100-year-old Fauja Singh (Interview) (With images) - Jan 04, 2012
- TV watching contest to mark Dutch TV's 60 years - Oct 01, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh cyclist set to enter Guinness Book - Dec 01, 2008
Tags: 168 hours, abc studios, challenger, city of mississauga, drama series, drinking cups, feats, guinness record, guinness records, ironing clothes, joachim, longest time, outskirts, sunday evening, swedish television, tamil canadian, television network, treadmill, watching television, watching tv