Tall women lend one another moral support at Tall Women’s clubApril 19th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr 19 (ANI): A 193cm tall woman Vanessa Elliot has revealed that she was always considered the odd one out in a crowd, until she found the Tall Women’s club.
She says that though she doesn’t always notice her towering height, people often remind her of that.
“The only time it’s brought to my attention is when someone else says something, and kids are the worst. They’re like ‘Mummy, mummy, look - a giant!’,” she said. “But, if I got defensive every time somebody said something, I’d be in that many fights. You just pretend you didn’t hear,” The Courier Mail quoted her as saying.
“I have no idea what that actually looks like to other people until I walk past a reflective surface and I think, ‘Oh my God’,” she added.
However, Vanessa has found The Tall Women’s club, which has many other women of the same height, with whom she can share her views.
The club’s first meeting attracted 25 women and a new event is planned - a Brisbane River night cruise on May 1.
This cruise is also open to men after expressions of interest in starting Tall Men’s groups in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast.
Elliott, 24, was the tallest woman under 40 at the first meeting, but there was an older lady who was taller.
“I was so excited to meet other people like this. Some people looked at us funnily but they were looking at us, not just me. So I was like, ‘I don’t care, I’ve got my friends with me’,” Vanessa added. (ANI)
- Hatice Kocaman is the world's smallest woman - Nov 17, 2010
- Californian couple named world's tallest man and wife - Nov 19, 2010
- Holmes wants to date tall men - Sep 13, 2012
- World's smallest woman delighted with title - Nov 17, 2010
- British police: The tall and the short - Nov 18, 2011
- Short people 'at greater risk of heart disease' - Jun 09, 2010
- Deepika my tallest actress: Abhishek - Nov 29, 2010
- Short people more likely to develop heart disease - Jun 09, 2010
- Meet 7ft Eve - the world's tallest model! - May 26, 2010
- Meet the world's tallest model at 6ft 8in! - Dec 30, 2010
- Tall women get higher salary - Apr 13, 2010
- You won't find a husband, world's tallest girl told - Apr 27, 2010
- This year's best 'dumb criminal' tales so far (The Funny Side) - Aug 17, 2012
- Tallness linked to cancer - Jul 21, 2011
- Brit man, who changed gender, wins modelling contract - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: brisbane river, courier mail, crowd, expressions of interest, first meeting, giant, gold coast, lend one, may 1, melbourne, moral support, night cruise, older lady, reflective surface, tall men, tall woman, tall women, Tallest woman, towering height