Talks continue to free three German hostages in YemenDecember 18th, 2008 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
Sanaa, Dec 18 (DPA) Talks aimed at freeing three German hostages held by tribesmen in western Yemen continued Thursday as authorities added a new member to its negotiating team, one of the abductors said.”We met representatives of the government today, and discussed our demands with them,” the abductor, who requested anonymity, told DPA.
He was speaking from Naba’ah, a remote mountainous area in Khawlan district, some 60 km southeast of the capital Sanaa.
“We insisted to them that our demands should be met before the release of the hostages,” said the man, a member of the Bani Dhabian tribe.
“Until that happens, the Germans are our guests, and we intend no harm to them,” he added.
The man, who spoke via a mobile phone, said authorities added a leading tribal dignitary to its negotiators. He gave no further details.
Security forces were encircling the kidnappers’ hideout in Naba’ah, where the three hostages - an employee at the German Technical Cooperation agency (GTZ) and her parents - have been held since Monday.
Armed tribesmen from the powerful Bani Dhabian tribe kidnapped the trio and demanded the release of two relatives jailed in Sana’a over a previous kidnapping of five local engineers last year.
Police said five tribesmen led by Abdu-Rabu Saleh al-Tam were holding the hostages.
They said the kidnappers had demanded the release of al-Tam’s son and brother, who have been jailed at the central prison in Sanaa for abducting five Yemeni engineers and holding them hostage for six months last year.
Al-Tam also demanded authorities pay him 40 million riyals ($200,000) in compensation for a property in Sanaa, the ownership of which he disputed with an influential businessman.
- Two US tourists kidnapped in Yemen - May 29, 2010
- Yemen kidnappers free German hostages - Dec 19, 2008
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Odisha crisis: Uncertainty over hostages' release - Apr 08, 2012
- Abducted Pakistani boy strangled to death - Mar 18, 2012
- US tourists kidnapped, released in Egypt - Feb 04, 2012
- Odisha crisis: Uncertainty over hostages' release (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- American tourists kidnapped in Egypt - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Identify graves of four Westerners killed by Al-Faran' - Apr 06, 2012
- Six die in botched Pakistan hostage rescue attempt - Dec 30, 2011
- Hostage crisis: Odisha to release 27 prisoners (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Yemeni government, armed tribesmen agree on ceasefire - May 29, 2011
- Swiss woman abducted in Yemen - Mar 16, 2012
- French aid worker released in Yemen - Jul 15, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012