Taliban suicide bombers attack Afghan townMay 12th, 2009 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 12 (DPA) A group of Taliban militants wearing suicide vests and carrying automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenade launchers attacked several government buildings in eastern Afghanistan Tuesday, causing an unknown number of casualties, officials said.
Zemarai Bashary, a spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry, confirmed that Taliban suicide bombers attacked the provincial governor’s office and municipal buildings in Khost city, the capital of the province of the same name.
“Two suicide bombers detonated themselves near the governor’s and mayor’s offices,” Bashary told DPA, but could not say how many people were killed or wounded.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said approximately 30 Taliban fighters equipped with suicide vests and weapons attacked the police headquarters and the provincial governor’s building in Khost city.
“The fighting is still ongoing in the area,” Mujahid said by phone from an undisclosed location.
Wali Jan, a shopkeeper in the city said there were fierce gun-battles in several locations in the city and that traffic had been halted.
“I can tell you that the situation is under control,” Bashary said, but declined to give further details.
- Seven killed in Afghan suicide blast (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Eight Taliban bombers attack Afghan government buildings - May 05, 2010
- Five killed as suicide bombers attack Afghan government buildings - Jul 21, 2009
- Blasts rock Kabul, Taliban target US embassy - Sep 13, 2011
- Taliban attack two NATO bases in Afghanistan - Aug 28, 2010
- Militants storm Afghan government building, kill one - Aug 10, 2009
- 3 militants killed as Taliban storm Afghan police unit - Dec 21, 2009
- 4 killed as militants storm Afghan government buildings (Lead) - Aug 10, 2009
- Seven militants killed as suicide squad storm Afghan city - Jul 25, 2009
- Afghan deputy spy chief, 21 others killed in suicide attack (Second Lead) - Sep 02, 2009
- 80 Taliban killed in failed attack on NATO combat post in Afghanistan near Pak border - Oct 31, 2010
- 21 killed in nightmare Kabul hotel attack - Jun 30, 2011
- Afghan provincial governor escapes assassination attempt - Oct 26, 2009
- 25 killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan, BBC reporter dead (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- EU condemns Afghanistan attacks - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: automatic weapons, eastern afghanistan, government buildings, grenade launchers, gun battles, interior ministry, kabul, khost, militants, municipal buildings, police headquarters, provincial governor, rocket propelled grenade, shopkeeper, suicide bombers, taliban, taliban fighters, undisclosed location, unknown number, vests