Taliban says new offensive begins in AfghanistanApril 30th, 2009 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 30 (DPA) An attack in western Afghanistan Thursday marked the beginning of a new countrywide offensive by the Taliban aimed at countering the arrival in the coming months of US and NATO reinforcements, the Islamist rebels said.
Mullah Brodar, deputy to Taliban supreme leader Mullah Omar, said the new operation, dubbed Nasrat, which means victory, is similar to the Taliban’s spring offensives in previous years and would include an increased number of suicide attacks, ambushes and offensive assaults.
The new operation got under way with Taliban militants attacking the Salemi police post in the Pashtun Zarghoon district of Herat province, Qari Mohammad Yousif Ahmadi, a Taliban spokesman, said in a statement posted at the rebels’ website.
He claimed that six security officers were killed and the commander of the post, who was wounded in the attack, fled the area before the militants torched the station.
Abdul Raouf Ahmadi, a police spokesman in western Afghanistan, confirmed the attack but denied the Taliban’s casualty figures, saying four police officers received minor injuries in the rocket attack.
Ahmadi said the police forces inflicted casualties on the Taliban side during the three-hour gunbattle but could not give any figures.
Taliban militants have steadily gained strength in Afghanistan in the past three years after the ouster of their ultra-Islamic regime in late 2001, and they extended their territory to larger swathes of the country last year.
Compared to the eastern and southern parts of the country, where Taliban-led insurgents are most active, western and northern provinces are relatively peaceful. But under their new offensive, the Taliban vowed to move their battleground into new areas of the country.
A suicide attack and ambush was carried out in the northern province of Kunduz Wednesday, killing one German soldier and wounding nine. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the bombing.
With the deployment of 21,000 additional US soldiers and around 5,000 NATO forces, there would be more than 90,000 international troops deployed from 42 nations in Afghanistan by this summer.
- 15 militants killed in Afghanistan - May 01, 2009
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- Taliban deputy chief announces new offensive in Afghanistan - Apr 29, 2009
- 10 Afghan soldiers killed in Taliban ambush - Oct 06, 2009
- Italian soldier killed in Afghanistan - Mar 25, 2012
- Taliban attacks kill 35 in Kandahar (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Taliban militants kill five policemen in Afghanistan - Apr 19, 2009
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- Dozens killed after militants ambush NATO convoy in western Afghanistan - Mar 30, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- Eight US soldiers among 25 killed in Afghanistan - Jul 14, 2010
- 50 militants, 10 soldiers killed in Afghanistan - Sep 13, 2009
- Five US, British soldiers killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
Tags: afghanistan kabul, casualty figures, german soldier, gunbattle, islamic regime, islamist rebels, kunduz, mullah omar, nasrat, northern province, northern provinces, police post, police spokesman, raouf, rocket attack, suicide attack, suicide attacks, taliban spokesman, western afghanistan, yousif