Taliban release 118 kidnapped labourers in AfghanistanSeptember 27th, 2008 - 12:56 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, Sep 26 (Xinhua) Taliban insurgents Friday released 118 labourers they had kept hostage since Monday, claimed a Taliban commander in the Afghanistan province of Farah. Mullah Sayed Jan, who identified himself as a commander of the militant group in the province, told Xinhua that all the labourers they captured Monday (Sep 22) have been released this evening.
“We unconditionally freed those abductees in order to make those people join their families for the coming religious Eid festival,” he said.
However, Qari Yusuf Ahmadi, the purported Taliban spokesman denied that Taliban was involved in the abduction, saying Mullah Sayed Jan’s outfits do not belong to the Taliban.
More than 150 labourers working for construction activities with Afghan army Corps in Herat were reportedly abducted in the province Monday.
The ill-fated abductees, according to the official, were about to join their families for Eid-ul-Fitr, or religious festival, marking the end of holy fasting month of Ramadan.
Conflicts and spiralling insurgency have claimed the lives of over 4,000 people, including around 1,445 civilians, so far this year in the war-torn country.
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- 14 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2012
- 30 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 30, 2012
- Karzai prays for welfare of Afghans - Aug 19, 2012
- Chinese Muslims celebrate Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Over 40 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Apr 26, 2012
- Chinese Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr - Aug 18, 2012
- 20 Taliban fighters lay down arms - Jan 16, 2012
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Key Taliban commander held in Afghanistan - Nov 13, 2011
- 27 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 22, 2012
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- 16 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - May 01, 2012
- Dikshit greets people on Eid eve - Sep 10, 2010