Taliban must have an authorised negotiator: KarzaiDecember 19th, 2011 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Dec 19 (IANS) The Afghan government cannot hold peace talks with the Taliban until the terror outfit identifies a representative with the authority to negotiate, President Hamid Karzai has said.
Afghanistan also needs the help of neighbouring Pakistan for any talks to succeed, Karzai told CNN in an exclusive interview Sunday.
The president said the killing of former president Burhanuddin Rabbani, who had attempted to meet Taliban representatives, showed that “we were actually talking to nobody”.
“A man who came in the name of a messenger for peace turned out to be a suicide bomber,” Karzai said.
“Therefore, we have now clearly said that we will welcome a Taliban address, but that address must have the clarity that this representative is authorized and is representing the Taliban movement as we see it,” the president stressed.
He said Pakistan’s involvement was important “because we all know that the Taliban have their places there. They operate from there. And a meaningful peace process cannot go well or end in satisfactory results without Pakistan’s participation and help”.
NATO forces led by the US have been battling the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan for a decade, since the 9/11 attacks. The international troops are scheduled to withdraw in 2014.
Karzai said thought the allied forces have been able to provide political stability in the past 10 years, security for individual Afghans “is yet to come”.
- Afghan peace delegation to visit Pakistan - Jan 02, 2011
- Pakistan offers Afghanistan intelligence in Rabbani's killing - Oct 11, 2011
- Khar to visit Afghanistan Wednesday - Jan 31, 2012
- Karzai confirms 'unofficial talks' with Taliban - Oct 11, 2010
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- Pact with India not to hit twin brother Pakistan: Karzai - Oct 05, 2011
- Gilani surprised by Karzai's aggressive posture - Nov 12, 2011
- Peaceful Afghanistan critical for Pakistan: Gilani - Feb 01, 2012
- Pak holds 'trump card' to success of Afghan peace talks with Taliban: Gilani - Oct 13, 2010
- Afghan peace delegation to arrive in Pakistan on Jan 5 - Jan 03, 2011
- It was cordial meeting with Karzai: Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- Rabbani's killing reminder of dangers to Afghan peace: Manmohan - Sep 24, 2011
- Rabbani to brief India on Taliban reconciliation - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: 9 11 attacks, afghan government, afghans, allied forces, cnn, former president, hamid karzai, international troops, nato forces, negotiator, neighbouring, peace process, peace talks, political stability, president hamid karzai, rabbani, satisfactory results, suicide bomber, taliban, taliban movement