Taliban militants kill five policemen in AfghanistanApril 19th, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, April 19 (DPA) Taliban militants stormed a police post in western Afghanistan and killed five policemen, officials said Sunday.
Dozens of militants driving several vehicles overpowered the policemen, who were manning a checkpoint in Karez Shaikha area of western Farah province, said deputy provincial governor Mohammad Younus Rasouli.
“Tens of enemy forces attacked one of our police posts in an area some 20 km from Farah city last night and killed five policemen,” Rasouli said.
The police forces fought back and inflicted casualties on Taliban, he said, but could not give any figures.
“There were Pakistanis, Arabs and Chechens among the attackers,” said Abdul Raouf Ahmadi, spokesman for police forces in western region.
Taliban spokesman Qari Mohammad Yousif Ahamdi said by phone from an undisclosed location that their forces seized weapons and ammunition from the police post before withdrawing to their bases in the province.
The poorly trained and equipped Afghan police forces have borne the brunt of Taliban-led attacks since the ouster of Taliban regime in late 2001. More than 2,300 police were killed in rebel attacks in 2007 and 2008.
- 10 Afghan police, two civilians dead in suicide attacks(Second lead) - Mar 16, 2009
- Taliban says new offensive begins in Afghanistan - Apr 30, 2009
- Five policemen killed in Afghan blast - Sep 02, 2012
- 22 Taliban, five cops killed in Afghan attack - Jul 08, 2012
- Bomb blast kills five Afghan border policemen - Nov 22, 2009
- Eight US soldiers among 25 killed in Afghanistan - Jul 14, 2010
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- Dozens killed after militants ambush NATO convoy in western Afghanistan - Mar 30, 2012
- Three killed, 11 missing after Afghan attack - Apr 26, 2012
- Two policemen among 12 killed in Afghan clash - Jan 19, 2012
- 20 blasts rocks Afghanistan, 16 injured - May 07, 2011
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- NATO soldier, eight Afghans killed in bomb attacks - Jun 13, 2009
- Ten troops killed in bloody day for ISAF in Afghanistan - Jun 08, 2010
- Taliban attacks kill 35 in Kandahar (Second Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
Tags: afghanistan kabul, arabs, attackers, brunt, chechens, enemy forces, mohammad younus, ouster, pakistanis, police forces, police post, police posts, policemen, provincial governor, rasouli, rebel attacks, taliban, undisclosed location, western afghanistan, yousif