Taliban kill 35 road workers: Afghan officialMay 19th, 2011 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 19 (IANS) Thirtyfive road construction workers were killed and 24 injured Thursday when Taliban insurgents raided a road construction company, Xinhua quoted provincial administration’s spokesman as saying.
Eight Taliban militants were also killed in the two-hour clash which took place between them and the security guards in eastern Afghanistan’s Paktia province, the spokesman added.
“An unknown number of insurgents attacked a road construction company in Waza Zadran district Thursday at around 02.00 a.m. local time, triggering a fierce fighting between the company’s security guards and assailants. As a result, 35 people were killed,” said Rohullah Samoon.
He said the company named Galaxy Sky is a local firm which is in charge of construction of a road connecting Waza Zadran to neighbouring Khost province.
Taliban militants have in the past threatened locals to avoid working for construction projects and stop providing help for Afghan and foreign troops.
This was the second attack against road construction firms in eastern Afghanistan.
On March 27, in a suicide car bombing attack for which Taliban claimed responsibility, 24 workers were killed in neighbouring Paktika province.
- Karzai advisor's family members killed - Aug 21, 2012
- Leader of Haqqani network killed in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2011
- Eight Afghans killed in NATO attack - May 27, 2012
- NATO-led air strike kills senior Haqqani leader in eastern Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2011
- 13 killed in eastern Afghanistan suicide bomb attack - Mar 28, 2011
- Over 60 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 09, 2011
- Afghan Taliban urged to renounce violence - Jun 30, 2011
- Coalition forces kill 20 Taliban in Afghanistan - Aug 12, 2010
- 14 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 14, 2012
- Five Afghan troops killed in suicide bombing - Mar 10, 2010
- NATO soldier, six workers killed in Afghanistan - Jul 06, 2010
- Taliban free Turkish engineers after eight months - Sep 04, 2011
- Six NATO soldiers killed in Afghan attacks - Jul 10, 2010
- Afghan education official shot dead - Jul 08, 2012
- 3 militants killed as Taliban storm Afghan police unit - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: assailants, car bombing, construction firms, construction projects, eastern afghanistan, fierce fighting, kabul, khost, local firm, militants, paktia province, provincial administration, road construction company, road construction workers, samoon, security guards, taliban, unknown number, waza, xinhua