Taliban attack Pakistan tribal area after Kayani’s visitDecember 7th, 2010 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
By Awais Saleem
Islamabad, Dec 7 (IANS) Taliban militants fired rockets in Ladha area of Pakistan’s North Waziristan agency after a joint visit by army chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and air force Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman to the restive tribal region Tuesday.
The services chiefs had returned an hour or so earlier after inaugurating a basic health unit in Ladha when Taliban militants fired four rockets in the area, Dunya TV reported.
The security forces returned the fire but there was no casualty in the attack, the channel said.
The spokesman of the Inter-Services Public Relations of the Pakistan Army, however, denied the attack in a statement issued after the news came in the media.
The army and air chiefs of Pakistan visited the troubled region in the wake of reports that militants have been flushed out from over 85 percent of the area. The Pakistan military launched a crackdown against Taliban and Al Qaeda militants in the northwestern tribal areas, bordering Afghanistan, more than a year ago.
- Pak military indirectly rejects damning US 'war on terror' report, ISI double-game - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Top Al Qaeda leader killed in US drone attack (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Pakistan test-fires 1,300 km missile - Dec 21, 2010
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- 12 militants killed in Pakistan - Jan 28, 2012
- Five militants among six killed in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- US drone strikes kill 13 in Pakistan - Nov 07, 2010
- Two hurt as rocket hits Pakistani journalist's home - Feb 05, 2012
- ISAF commander to visit Pakistan Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
- Terrorists launch rocket attacks in South Waziristan following Kayani visit, no casualties - Dec 07, 2010
- Pak Taliban releases 23 tribesmen it abducted for meeting army chief - Jan 01, 2011
- ISAF commander meets Pakistan army chief (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Military should bow to civilian rule, suggests Gilani - Jan 04, 2012
- Pakistan's army, air force chiefs visit Swat (With image) - Jun 08, 2009
Tags: air chiefs, air force chief, area of pakistan, army chief, ashfaq, basic health, chief general, chief marshal, crackdown, health unit, inter services, north waziristan agency, pakistan army, pakistan military, pervez, qamar, saleem, security forces, tribal area, tribal areas