Taiwan seeks heritage status for complex Chinese charactersDecember 19th, 2008 - 2:41 am ICT by IANS
Taipei, Dec 19 (DPA) Taiwan plans to apply for world heritage status for the complex Chinese characters that China stopped using after 1949 but Taiwan continues to use today, a newspaper said Thursday.Taiwan plans to set up a task force in February to prepare for making the application to UNESCO, the United Daily News quoted Premier Liu Chao-Shiuan as saying.
It was not clear whether Taiwan’s not being a member of the United Nations would hinder the effort, but Taiwan’s government does not believe China would oppose the move because the complex characters are part of the Chinese heritage, the News said.
When the Chinese Communists won the Chinese Civil War and founded the People’s Republic of China in 1949, they introduced simplified Chinese characters beginning in 1956 to make it easier for farmers and workers to learn to read and write.
But the Chinese Nationalist Government, which lost the civil war and fled to Taiwan to set up its government-in-exile, preserved the complex characters in the name of preserving the Chinese culture, and today Taiwan is the only country in the world where the complex characters are still being used.
The complex characters are also used by Chinese-language newspapers in the former British and Portugese colonies Hong Kong and Macau, which are now China’s special administrative zones.
Liu said that if one knows the complex characters, it is easier for one to read ancient Chinese characters used 2,000 to 3,000 years ago. “So complex Chinese characters are like a living fossil,” he was quoted as saying.
- Taiwan to allow officials, military personnel to visit China - Dec 20, 2008
- China opposes US-Taiwan relations - Jul 19, 2012
- Chinese ancient liquor breweries eye heritage list - Jul 11, 2012
- Taiwan premier resigns over typhoon disaster - Sep 07, 2009
- Taiwan premier resigns (Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- 'When Love Comes' wins best film at the Golden Horse award - Nov 22, 2010
- Taiwan, China to launch sea, air links - Dec 14, 2008
- China, Taiwan hold economic, cultural forum - Dec 20, 2008
- 3D erotic movie a hit in Hong Kong - Apr 21, 2011
- China's Vegas: Macau becoming major tourist hub (Lead, IANS Travel) (With Images) - Apr 22, 2011
- China's Vegas: Macau evolving into major tourist hub (With Images) (IANS Travel) - Apr 22, 2011
- Taiwan protests its exports labelled 'Made in Taiwan, China' - May 23, 2010
- Amazon launches online bookstore in China - Sep 29, 2011
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- Taiwan protests China's bid to block trade pacts - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: ancient chinese characters, chinese civil war, chinese communists, chinese heritage, chinese nationalist government, language newspapers, living fossil, republic of china, united daily news, world heritage status