Taiwan leader seeks closer ties with mainland ChinaJuly 12th, 2010 - 3:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 12 (ANI): Taiwan leader Ma Ying-jeou has called for closer ties with mainland China following the signing of a historic trade pact by the two sides last month. In a message sent to Hu Jintao, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, the China Daily quoted Ma, as saying that this was an opportunity for the two sides to end decades of mistrust and search for common ground.
The appeal, condensed into 16 Chinese characters, will be given to Hu on Monday by Wu Poh-hsiung, honorary chairman of Taiwan’s ruling Kuomintang (KMT), when he meets Hu in Beijing.
Translated into English, the 16 characters read: “Looking into realities, overcoming differences and seeking common ground, accumulating mutual trust and further creating win-win situations.”
This will be the third meeting between top leaders of the CPC and the KMT since 2008, when Ma took the reins of power.
Wu has previously said that it is both natural and necessary for senior leaders of both parties to meet once a year.
Negotiators from the mainland and Taiwan signed the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) in the southwestern mainland city of Chongqing in late June. (ANI)
- Dalai Lama urged to keep politics out during his Taiwan visit - Aug 31, 2009
- Taiwan's 'Grand' thaw with China (With Images) - Jun 30, 2010
- China, Taiwan sign historic economic pact (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- China, Taiwan hold economic, cultural forum - Dec 20, 2008
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- China offers to open talks on military issues with Taiwan - Oct 14, 2010
- China invites Taiwan's leader to Beijing: Report - Apr 20, 2008
- Taiwan asks Dalai Lama to keep politics out of his visit - Sep 02, 2009
- Taiwan's top political leader starts China visit - May 26, 2008
- Taiwan bets on trade pact to avert China invasion - May 19, 2010
- China's Hu receives Taiwan party chief in a historic first - May 28, 2008
- Taiwan envoy heads to China to improve ties - Apr 24, 2008
- Taiwan, China to resume talks amid dispute over island's sovereignty - Jun 08, 2008
- Dalai Lama may visit Taiwan: Prez - Aug 27, 2009
- China offers to help Taiwan tackle financial crisis - Dec 20, 2008
Tags: china daily, chinese characters, chongqing, communist party of china, cpc central committee, ecfa, economic cooperation, framework agreement, honorary chairman, hu jintao, kmt, ma ying jeou, mainland china, mainland city, mistrust, mutual trust, poh, power wu, taiwan leader, trade pact