Taiwan issues sea, land warnings for Typhoon HagupitSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 3:33 am ICT by IANS
Taipei, Sep 22 (DPA) Taiwan braced Monday for Typhoon Hagupit as the storm approached the Bashih Strait between Taiwan and the Philippines.After issuing a sea warning Sunday afternoon for Hagupit, the Central Weather Bureau issued a land warning early Monday as the storm was intensifying and moving closer to Taiwan.
In the last eight hours, Hagupit had moved some 200 km closer to Taiwan, and its strength has also intensified, the bureau said.
By 2:30 a.m. Monday, the eye of Hagupit was 530 km southeast of Erlunpi, Taiwan’s southern tip.
Moving in a northwesterly direction at 20 km per hour, Hagupit packs centre winds of 126 kph and gusts of 162 kph. The radius of typhoon-strength winds is 250 km.
The bureau expects Hagupit to bring strong winds and heavy rain starting Tuesday to south and southeast Taiwan.
Taiwan is affected by an average of a dozen typhoons annually, with several of them making direct landfall on Taiwan and causing serious damage.
Hagupit comes on the heels of Typhoon Sinlaku, which killed at least 11 people and left 11 missing.
Sinlaku crossed Taiwan’s northern tip on Sep 14 after spiralling for several days off Taiwan’s north-east coast.
Heavy rains brought by the typhoon set off landslides in Taiwan’s central mountains, toppling one hotel, burying one section of a mountain tunnel and caused one section of a bridge to collapse.
- Typhoon Parma approaches Taiwan - Oct 04, 2009
- Typhoon Hagupit skirts Taiwan on way to China - Sep 23, 2008
- Taiwan evacuates villages due to approaching Typhoon Parma - Oct 05, 2009
- China braces for another typhoon - Sep 17, 2012
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Fanapi approaches - Sep 18, 2010
- Panamanian freighter sends out SOS near Taiwan during typhoon - Oct 05, 2009
- Typhoon Damrey slams China - Aug 03, 2012
- Typhoon 'Megi' hits China, 270,000 evacuated - Oct 23, 2010
- Philippines and Taiwan brace up for typhoon Parma - Oct 01, 2009
- Over 500 tourists stranded in Taiwan due to typhoon 'Megi' - Oct 22, 2010
- Arabian Sea depression may move towards Oman coast - Nov 28, 2011
- Typhoon Talas leaves at least 18 dead in Japan - Sep 04, 2011
- Vietnam, Taiwan slammed by typhoons (Lead) - Sep 29, 2008
- Philippines Hit By Super Typhoon Megi, Thousands Evacuated - Oct 18, 2010
- Over 100,000 evacuated in China as storm approaches - Aug 08, 2011