Taiwan arrests Chinese tourist for spyingMay 26th, 2009 - 9:34 am ICT by IANS
Taipei, May 26 (DPA) Taiwan has arrested a Chinese tourist on charges of gathering military intelligence for Beijing, a newspaper said Tuesday.
Ma Zhongfei, the manager of a Chinese science and technology company, was arrested Monday when he walked into the Recruit Centre of National Armed Forces on the Keelung Road in Taipei and took photos inside the building, the Liberty Times reported.
As the centre is a military establishment, he was arrested and handed over to the military police for questioning. Under Taiwanese law, “illegal entry of military facility” carries a maximum one-year jail term.
The newspaper said Ma is visiting the country at the invitation of a Taiwan company, without saying if he came alone or as part of a Chinese delegation.
This is the first case of Taiwan’s catching a “Chinese spy” since Taipei opened its door to Chinese tour groups on in July 2008.
Ma’s arrest came a day after President Ma Ying-jeou called Taiwan-China ties as at their best point in 60 years. Ma has been pushing for cross-strait peace since he took office in May 2008.
- Taiwan seeks F-16s to boost defence - Aug 19, 2010
- Taiwan protests China's bid to block trade pacts - Jun 02, 2010
- China offers to open talks on military issues with Taiwan - Oct 14, 2010
- Taiwan, China launch regular cross-strait flights - Sep 01, 2009
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- Taiwan launches first cruise service with China - Jun 28, 2009
- Taiwan's 'Grand' thaw with China (With Images) - Jun 30, 2010
- Feng Fei Fei's death announcement delayed - Feb 15, 2012
- China, Taiwan sign historic economic pact (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Chinese athletes to boycott closing ceremony of World Games - Jul 26, 2009
- Dalai Lama wraps up Taiwan visit (Lead) - Sep 04, 2009
- Taiwan to start regular flights with China - Feb 06, 2009
- Taiwan, China to launch regular flights in July - Jan 16, 2009
- Taiwan, China hold dialogue on expanding trade ties - Dec 22, 2009
- Taiwan signs financial pact with China - Nov 16, 2009
Tags: china ties, chinese delegation, chinese science, chinese spy, dpa, illegal entry, jail term, keelung road, liberty times, ma ying jeou, military establishment, military facility, military intelligence, military police, science and technology, taipei, taiwan china, taiwan company, technology company, tour groups