Tait in preliminary squad for Champions TrophyJuly 10th, 2008 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, July 10 (IANS) Fast bowler Shaun Tait took the first step in his comeback as he was named in Australia’s 30-member preliminary squad for the Champions Trophy cricket tournament. The Australian selectors also included six uncapped players– Tasmanian quartet George Bailey, Xavier Doherty, Brett Geeves and Tim Paine, Queensland all-rounder Ryan Harris and New South Wales (NSW) paceman Doug Bollinger.
Tait, who had announced indefinite retirement from cricket in January citing emotional and physical exhaustion, has not represented his country since.
But the 25-year-old paceman, who starred in Australia’s triumphant World Cup campaign last year, was included in the squad, which will be halved in a month’s time for the September tournament.
“Shaun Tait has been included as he continues his extensive rehabilitation program to resume playing cricket,” Australian chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph.
“Shaun had a significant impact in our World Cup victory and at his best is a formidable weapon in one-day cricket.”
Australia have been drawn in a pool comprising India, Pakistan and the West Indies, and are scheduled to play their first match, against India, in Lahore September 13.
Australian squad: Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice-captain), George Bailey, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Dan Cullen, Xavier Doherty, Brett Geeves, Ryan Harris, Brad Haddin, Nathan Hauritz, Matthew Hayden, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Phil Jaques, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Ashley Noffke, Tim Paine, Luke Ronchi, Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- Johnson lucky to get a Cricket Australia central contract - Jun 22, 2012
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- No room for both Tait and Lee in Oz WC squad - Jan 14, 2011
- Oz selectors delay replacement for Bollinger seeing Hussey's optimism to return - Mar 01, 2011
- Lee named in Australian Twenty20 World Cup squad - Mar 30, 2010
- Australia still a force to reckon with in ODIs (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 07, 2011
- Lee selected in Australian squad for World Twenty20 - Mar 30, 2010
Tags: adam voges, Andrew Symonds, australian selectors, cameron white, champions trophy cricket, cricket tournament, david hussey, luke ronchi, matthew hayden, mike hussey, nathan bracken, one day cricket, one day cricket australia, phil jaques, physical exhaustion, shane watson, shaun tait, tim paine, world cup campaign, world cup victory