Tagore song heralds new year in BangladeshApril 14th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, April 14 (IANS) Hundreds of Bangladeshis gathered in the capital Saturday to sing “Esho hey Baishakh esho esho”, a traditional song written by Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, to welcome the Bangla new year.
The revellers thronged the capital at dawn to greet the New Year 1419, the Daily Star reported.
Artistes from cultural organisation Chhayanaut led the festivities by singing the traditional “Pahela Baishakh” song by Tagore. Women wearing colourful saris and men in kurta-pyjamas also joined in.
The Institute of Fine Arts of Dhaka University brought out a Mangal Shobhajatra, a colourful procession.
People from all walks of life gathered at a Baishakhi Mela, a fair, where they gorged on traditional Bengali dishes — “Panta Bhat” and fried hilsha fish with onions and green chillies.
- Dhaka honours Tagore music exponents - May 07, 2010
- Bengalis celebrate 'Poila Baishak' - Apr 14, 2012
- Eight Bangladeshi artists interpret Tagore on canvas - May 16, 2011
- Drape that Kanjeevaram, Benarasi this Diwali - Oct 20, 2011
- Cocktail sari for Gaga - if only! - Oct 28, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Dol, Holi - Mar 08, 2012
- Tagore anthem kicks-off cricket World Cup opening ceremony - Feb 17, 2011
- Bismillah Khan's disciple to play at Varun's wedding (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Big B comes out to greet well-wishers (With Image) - Feb 27, 2012
- Britain based Bengali body plans South Asian convention - Sep 01, 2009
- Varun Gandhi ties the knot, aunt Sonia misses ceremony (Second Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Varun marries Yamini Roy in Varanasi (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Poland remembers Tagore, sways to Gurudev's musical - May 03, 2012
- Bengalis in West Bengal celebrate traditional New Year - Apr 15, 2009
- Opening ceremony of 2011 World Cup begins in Dhaka - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: april 14, bengali, bhat, chillies, daily star, dhaka university, festivities, hilsha, institute of fine arts, mangal, new year, nobel laureate, onions, pahela baishakh, procession, pyjamas, rabindranath tagore, revellers, saris, walks of life