Syrian president warns against foreign interventionSeptember 18th, 2011 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, Sep 18 (IANS) Syrian President Bashar al-Assad Sunday warned that foreign intervention would alienate countries in the region and further the danger of extremism.
Assad made the remarks during a meeting with a delegation from the Russian Federation Council (the upper house of Russia’s parliament), which flew in a day earlier on a four-day visit for talks with Syrian officials and other political, social and religious figures on the six-month crisis in the country, reported Xinhua, citing official Syrian news agency SANA.
SANA quoted Assad as saying that every reform step endorsed by the Syrian government was met with an escalation of foreign pressures, in addition to other attempts to interfere in Syria’s internal affairs and undermine its security and stability through armed terrorist operations targeting civilians, army personnel and security agents.
Assad highly evaluated Russia’s “balanced and constructive” attitude towards the current situation in Syria and its keenness about security and stability in the country.
Members of the Russian delegation voiced Russia’s support for the on-going reforms in Syria and rejection of any foreign intervention in Syria’s internal affairs, SANA said.
In a statement to SANA, Ilyas Umakhanov, deputy chairman of the Russian Federation Council, said Russia was ready to participate and cooperate in pushing forward the national dialogue in Syria and the dialogue should be launched in a “natural atmosphere without violence.”
- Russia denies sending chemical weapons to Syria - Aug 21, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Russia hits out at West's 'chilling' stance on Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Russia supports Syrians' decision on leadership - Mar 18, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Syria appreciates BRICS stand on sovereignty - Mar 30, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Syria warns nations against recognising rebel council - Oct 09, 2011
- US downplays Syrian offer to discuss Assad's resignation - Aug 22, 2012
- India, Brazil, South Africa mount pressure on Syria - Aug 11, 2011
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
Tags: army personnel, bashar al assad, constructive attitude, country members, current situation in syria, deputy chairman, internal affairs, keenness, national dialogue, natural atmosphere, president bashar, religious figures, russian delegation, russian federation council, security agents, syrian government, syrian news agency, syrian officials, syrian president bashar al, terrorist operations