Syrian president to follow up on Palestinian dialogueMarch 30th, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by admin
Damascus, March 30 (DPA) Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will follow up on the dialogue between Hamas and the Palestinian Authority, Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said Sunday. “President Assad will be in contact with Hamas and the Palestinian Authority leaders. He’ll follow up the dialogue and the proposals in order to end the status of Palestinian internal division,” al-Moallem said
He made the statement in a joint news conference with Arab League Secretary General of the Arab League Amr Mussa at the end of the two-day Arab summit hosted by Syria.
Weeks of infighting between Hamas and the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, culminated in Hamas’ takeover of the Gaza Strip in June after routing Abbas’ security forces.
After nine months of disputes and differences between the two sides, Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh came up with a seven-clause initiative aiming at ending the inter-Palestinian differences.
The Yemeni initiative calls on Hamas to give up the Gaza Strip, start immediate dialogue with Abbas and Fatah and hold early presidential and legislative elections.
Both Fatah and Hamas accepted the Yemeni initiative of reconciliation. However, Fatah demanded an immediate implementation of the initiative, while Hamas said the initiative has to be negotiated and not implemented.
“President Assad will contact both sides, and will convey to Yemen what he gets to follow up the initiative. The Arab efforts will also continue to follow up the initiative’s implementation,” said al-Moallem.
Meanwhile, Mussa told reporters “the Yemeni initiative is right now on the table and all parties will cooperate and work together in order to see it implemented as soon as possible.”
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Syria warns nations against recognising rebel council - Oct 09, 2011
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Thousands of Syrians rally in support of Assad - Nov 19, 2011
- Hamas announces the formation of new Gaza government - Mar 11, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Palestinian's national unity government likely in ten days: official - May 28, 2011
Tags: ali abdullah saleh, arab efforts, arab league secretary general, arab summit, bashar al assad, fatah, fatah and hamas, fatah movement, gaza strip, league secretary, legislative elections, mahmoud abbas, moallem, mussa, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president ali abdullah saleh, president assad, president mahmoud abbas, syrian president bashar al