Syrian opposition group decries insult to Prophet MohammadSeptember 14th, 2012 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
Istanbul, Sep 14 (IANS) A major Syrian opposition group has expressed its distress over the insults caused by a US movie towards Prophet Mohammad but also stated that it is shocked over some Muslims’ reaction in the form of murder, arson and vandalism.
“We condemn the repeated insults to the noble prophet … and are outraged to see the insults tied to the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, which suggests there is a connection between the event and the tolerant message of Islam,” Xinhua quoted The Syrian National Council as saying in a statement.
“As we condemn the insults and consider them an assault on the feelings and beliefs of nearly one fourth of the population of the globe, we stress the right of everyone who has been offended to express peacefully their rejection and condemnation,” the Istanbul-based Syrian opposition group added.
The group also denounced the killing of the US ambassador and three other US diplomatic staffers in Libya.
On Tuesday night, protesters stormed the US consulate in Libyan city of Benghazi, and set fire to the building to protest against the video allegedly ridiculing Prophet Mohammad.
The film has also ignited protests in Yemen, Iran and Egypt.
- Clinton terms anti-Islam video 'disgusting' - Sep 14, 2012
- US ambassador killed in Libya attack - Sep 12, 2012
- Iranians protest anti-Islam movie - Sep 13, 2012
- Putin condemns attack on US diplomats in Libya - Sep 14, 2012
- US consulate set ablaze in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- Obama condemns US envoy's killing in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- US deploys drones, destroyers to hunt for envoy's killers - Sep 13, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi consulate attack (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- US on alert as protests over anti-Islam video spread (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in attack over movie (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- UN's Ban calls for restraint amid Middle East protests and violence - Sep 17, 2012
- US warns of more violence over anti-Islam video - Sep 14, 2012
Tags: ambassador, arson, benghazi, condemnation, insult, insults, istanbul, muslims, noble prophet, opposition group, prophet mohammad, protesters, protests, rejection, september 11 attacks, set fire, staffers, syrian opposition, vandalism, xinhua