Syrian military chopper shot downAugust 28th, 2012 - 8:43 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 28 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Free Syrian Army rebel group has claimed it had shot down a government-operated military helicopter near Damascus.
The rebels posted a video on YouTube of the helicopter going down in flames.
The video, the veracity of which could not be confirmed, appeared to show a Mil Mi-8 helicopter gunship catch fire, and spiral dive into the ground.
Al Arabiya said the Free Syrian Army claimed responsibility for shooting the helicopter down.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which reported the crash, said helicopter gunships had been in action Monday in support of government units against rebels in the western Damascus neighbourhood of Jobar.
Syrian state-run media confirmed the helicopter had crashed but did not give details.
Earlier this month, rebels shot down a MiG-23 fighter-bomber with a heavy machine-gun, which was also posted on YouTube. The loss of that aircraft was later confirmed by the government, which said it had gone down for “technical reasons”.
The Syrian conflict has claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to estimates by various groups.
- Syrian rebels shoot down MiG - Aug 14, 2012
- Russian army helicopter crashes - Aug 16, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
- Mi-2 chopper crashes in Russia, pilot killed - Aug 11, 2012
- Syrian rebels claim kidnapped Iranians are spies (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Iran denies Syria captives are elite guards - Aug 06, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
- Syrian opposition asks US to introduce no-fly zone - Aug 29, 2012
- Not delivering helicopters to Syria, says Russia - Jun 16, 2012
- US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- Russian navy ready to break Syria blockade - Jul 12, 2012
- Russia to sell 52 choppers to China - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian airline to shut flights to Damascus - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia condemns attacks on journalists in Syria - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: al arabiya, catch fire, chopper, damascus, down in flames, fighter bomber, going down in flames, government units, heavy machine gun, helicopter gunship, helicopter gunships, military helicopter, neighbourhood, rebel group, rebels, ria novosti, spiral dive, syrian army, veracity, youtube