Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebelsJuly 25th, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, July 25 (IANS/AKI) Syria’s ambassador to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) defected Wednesday, a day after his wife, the Syrian envoy to Cyprus, announced she was joining the rebels.
Abdel Latif al-Dabbagh’s wife Lamia al-Hariri was the Syrian ambassador to Cyprus.
She announced Tuesday she was defecting and joining the rebels locked in a 16-month uprising against President Bashar al-Assad.
Brigadier-General Manaf Tlas, the highest-ranked defector till date from the Syrian regime, in a message aired late Tuesday urged Syrians to unite and look towards a free and democratic post-revolutionary Syria.
Tlas’s broadcast was aired by Arabic satellite TV channel Al-Arabiya, reportedly from Paris. It was his first public appearance since he fled Syria earlier this month.
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- 20 Palestinians killed in Syria attack - Aug 03, 2012
- Syrian envoy to Iraq defects - Jul 13, 2012
- Russian warships head to Syria - Jul 10, 2012
- UAE, Syria discuss ways to improve ties - Feb 27, 2011
- Top Syrian military defector contacts opposition - Jul 13, 2012
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Yemen weapons factory blast toll climbs to 150 - Mar 30, 2011
- Syrian envoy rejects $1 mn for defection - Aug 12, 2012
- Rebels refuse to talk to Gaddafi aide - Mar 08, 2011
- Syrian army committing crimes against humanity: Italian minister - Jul 23, 2012
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- 23 bodies found near Damascus - Sep 07, 2012
- Syrian vice president defects: Rebels - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,