Syrian diplomats’ expulsion counter-productive: RussiaMay 31st, 2012 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia believes expulsion of Syrian ambassadors from a number of Western countries is counter- productive, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Wednesday.
“We can only comment on this decision…in the context of international efforts to achieve a peaceful resolution of the Syrian crisis,” Alexander Lukashevich said.
“From this perspective, the expulsion of Syrian ambassadors from the capitals of leading Western states is, in our view, a counterproductive move.”
The US, Spain, Great Britain, Italy, Canada, France, Australia, Germany, Japan and other countries announced the expulsion of the Syrian ambassadors from their countries Tuesday.
The step was undertaken in protest of last weekend’s massacre in the town of Houla for which the western countries have blamed Syrian President Bashar Assad’s forces.
The Friday’s killings in Houla in Homs province were one of the deadliest single events in the 15-month-old uprising against President Al Assad’s rule. The UN said 49 children and 34 women were among the 108 people killed.
- Russia warns against hasty conclusions on Syria massacre - Jun 01, 2012
- Four nations expel Syrian envoys - May 29, 2012
- Syria on brink of foreign instigated war: Assad - Jun 03, 2012
- Russia calls for probe into Syrian massacre - May 30, 2012
- Anti-government gangs blamed for Syria massacre - Jun 01, 2012
- UN rights resolution on Syria beyond mandate: Russia - Jun 03, 2012
- UNSC discusses Syria at closed-door meeting - May 31, 2012
- UN concerned over Syria violence escalation - Jun 13, 2012
- Both Syrian forces, rebels to blame for massacre: Russia - May 29, 2012
- Protests break out in Syrian towns after Friday prayers - May 21, 2011
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- UNSC calls emergency meet on Syria massacre - May 28, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Over 3,000 protesters rally in Syria - May 14, 2011
Tags: al assad, ambassadors, canada france, capitals, expulsion, foreign ministry spokesman, germany japan, hellip, houla, international efforts, killings, peaceful resolution, president bashar assad, ria novosti russia, russia moscow, syrian diplomats, syrian president bashar assad, uprising, western countries, western states