Syrian army committing crimes against humanity: Italian ministerJuly 23rd, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, July 23 (IANS/AKI) The Syrian army is committing crimes against humanity as well as ethnic cleansing of the population in its bid to quell the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad, Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi has said.
“This is an absolutely unprecedented assault, a massacre of its own people,” Terzi said in Brussels where European Union foreign ministers Monday beefed up sanctions and an arms embargo against the Syrian government.
“The army has gone far beyond the level of repression we have seen other countries that have risen up in the Arab Spring. This has the whiff of ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity.”
The Assad regime, dominated by the minority Alawite sect, has drawn international condemnation for its bloody repression of the 16-month rebellion against its rule.
The Red Cross has defined the situation as a civil war and there have been reports of sectarian killings, massacres and torture.
The UN Security Council last week extended its observation mission in Syria for another month but Terzi ruled out NATO intervention.
Despite the bloodshed, Terzi claimed the situation in Syria was not comparable to that in Libya last year, when the UN authorised a NATO operation that helped rebels oust longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi from power.
The EU Monday agreed to freeze the assets of 26 Syrians and three firms close to Assad in the 17th round of sanctions and to inspect vessels and planes suspected of carrying arms.
- Syrian PM's defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy - Aug 06, 2012
- Italy ready to intervene militarily in Syria - Sep 05, 2012
- Assad's sister flees Syria : Report - Sep 19, 2012
- Put pressure on Assad: Italy urges nations - Jul 28, 2012
- Russia slams West over Syria allegations - Jul 20, 2012
- Syrian envoy to UAE defects after wife joins rebels - Jul 25, 2012
- Amnesty finds evidence of state-sponsored abuse in Syria - Jun 15, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- EU to introduce new sanctions on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Terrorist infiltration attempt foiled in Syria - Apr 28, 2012
- Syrian journalists killed in TV station attack - Jun 28, 2012
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- US imposes sanctions on Syrian president - May 19, 2011
- 25 killed in fresh Syria massacre - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: arms embargo, bashar al assad, crimes against humanity, ethnic cleansing, foreign ministers, international condemnation, italian foreign, italian minister, longtime leader, massacres, muammar gaddafi, nato intervention, nato operation, observation mission, president bashar, syrian army, syrian government, un security council, unprecedented assault, whiff