Syria warns nations against recognising rebel councilOctober 9th, 2011 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, Oct 9 (IANS) Syria has threatened countries with “strict measures” if they recognised the “illegitimate” Syrian opposition council, RIA Novosti reported.
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem, while addressing a joint press conference with a Bolivarian Alliance for the Americas (ALBA) countries’ delegation in Damascus, said Syria would “adopt strict measures against any country which will recognise the illegitimate (opposition) council.”
Syrian opposition leaders announced the creation of the Transitional National Council, aimed at toppling Syria’s embattled President Bashar al-Assad, during a meeting in Istanbul last week.
The minister also said that the government would continue to persecute “armed terrorist gangs responsible for the violence in the country” and killings of peaceful civilians.
Al-Moallem hailed Russia and China for vetoing a UN Security Council draft resolution urging the Syrian regime to immediately stop violence against protesters or face “targeted measures”.
“We are in constant contact with Russian government concerning the situation in Syria,” Moallem said.
The number of victims of the Syrian unrest has climbed to some 3,000, according to the UN human rights body.
The Syrian authorities, who have used force to quench nation-wide protests, deny the figure, stating 700 police and security officers were killed by members of “terrorist gangs.”
- Iran stresses support to Syria - Aug 27, 2012
- Significant devastation in Syria's Homs: UN official - Mar 09, 2012
- Thousands of Syrians rally in support of Assad - Nov 19, 2011
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia has tools to pressure Syrian president: Panetta - Mar 08, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Indians in Syria asked to leave (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- Annan asks UNSC to speak in one voice over Syria - Mar 17, 2012
- UNSC draft on Syria sends unbalanced signal: Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- Under rising pressure from West, Syria seeks India's support (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Russian aid planes reach Syria - Mar 12, 2012
- Syrian opposition launches anti-government iPhone app - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: bashar al assad, constant contact, damascus, draft resolution, gangs, killings, moallem, opposition leaders, president bashar, protesters, ria novosti, russian government, security officers, strict measures, syrian authorities, syrian foreign minister, syrian opposition, syrian regime, un security council, unrest