Syria suspended from Arab LeagueNovember 13th, 2011 - 12:22 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Nov 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Arab League Saturday suspended Syria, Qatari Prime Minister Hamad bin Jassim Al Thani announced.
The regional body will impose harsh economic and political sanctions against Syrian President Bashar Al Assad’s government, Jassim said.
Syria, one of the Arab League’s founders, will be banned from participating in the regional body’s meetings.
The prime minster said that the suspension would come into force Nov 16.
“We were criticised for taking a long time but this was out of our concern for Syria,” Jassim said after the Arab League’s ministerial meeting in Cairo. “We needed to have a majority to approve those decisions.”
According to UN estimates, more than 3,000 people have been killed in Syria since mid-March, when first anti-regime protests began.
Last week Damascus agreed to accept the Arab League peace plan on Syria. Under the plan, Syria would release political prisoners detained during the ongoing conflict, and all military equipment would be removed from urban areas.
Syria also obliged to allow Arab League and world media representatives into the country.
Opposition leaders maintain that Syrian authorities continue to use force against “peaceful demonstrations” and many people were killed or injured as a result.
Meanwhile, the authorities say that the troops and police are clashing with militants, who are financed from abroad and attack administrative bodies and ordinary citizens.
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Syria releases over 900 protesters - Dec 01, 2011
- Arab League states seek suspension of Syria - Jun 15, 2011
- Syrian opposition launches anti-government iPhone app - Nov 19, 2011
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Syria on brink of foreign instigated war: Assad - Jun 03, 2012
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- Arab League elects Egyptian foreign minister as new head - May 16, 2011
- Protests break out in Syrian towns after Friday prayers - May 21, 2011
- Putin, Obama did not discuss refuge for Assad: Official - Jul 19, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Syria lifts state of emergency after five decades - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: administrative bodies, al thani, arab league, bashar al assad, hamad, media representatives, mid march, military equipment, opposition leaders, ordinary citizens, peace plan, peaceful demonstrations, political prisoners, president bashar, prime minster, qatari, regional body, ria novosti, syrian authorities, syrian president bashar al