Syria situation remains serious: UN chiefMay 26th, 2012 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The situation in Syria “remains extremely serious” and UN efforts to end the political crisis in the country have seen only “small progress”, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said in a report to the Security Council.
“There is a continuing crisis on the ground, characterised by regular violence, deteriorating humanitarian conditions, human rights violations and continued political confrontation,” said the report, obtained by Al Arabiya, ahead of a Security Council meet on Syria next week.
According to reports from Syrian activists, more than 12,600 people have been killed in the country since a revolt against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad started in March last year. The UN says up to 10,000 have been killed.
Although the scale of violence has decreased compared to the period before April 12, when UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan was implemented in the country, “the Syrian army has not ceased the use of, or pulled back, their heavy weapons in many areas”, Ban said.
At the same time, “significant parts of some cities appear to be under the de facto control of opposition elements”, he said.
The UN chief called again on states not to arm either side in the conflict.
The UN Security Council will discuss Ban’s report and hear a briefing about the situation in Syria from Kofi Annan Wednesday.
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Syrian defence minister killed in Damascus bombing - Jul 18, 2012
- US team visits Moscow over Syria crisis - Jun 08, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil war: Russia - Apr 21, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Putin to meet Annan to discuss Syria crisis - Jul 16, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- France offers communications gear to Syrian opposition - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: activists, al arabiya, ban ki moon, bashar al assad, characterised, de facto control, human rights violations, humanitarian conditions, kofi annan, moscow, opposition elements, peace plan, political confrontation, political crisis, president bashar, revolt, ria novosti, syrian army, un secretary general, un security council