Syria on brink of civil conflict: LavrovJune 10th, 2012 - 10:23 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 10 (IANS) The situation in Syria is teetering on the brink of full-fledged civil conflict, according to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
“It looks like Syria is on the brink of civil conflict,” RIA Novosti quoted him as saying Saturday.
At least 9,000 people have been killed in clashes between the government and opposition forces in Syria since the start of the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad last year, according to UN estimates.
UN-Arab special envoy Kofi Annan has said his six-point peace plan to stop violence in Syria is “not being implemented”.
To help settle Syrian situation, Russia has proposed a UN conference that will gather together the countries that have influence on Syria’s disparate forces.
The five permanent members of the UN Security Council, Syria’s neighbours — Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey — should take part, as well as representatives of the League of Arab States, Lavrov said.
Stating that Saudi Arabia and UN, EU diplomats should join the discussion, the Russian foreign minister advocated Iran’s participation in the conference.
“We would like the conference to be open, with explicit discussion that will show whether there is a possibility to agree on coordinated… measures towards both the Syrian government and all of the country’s opposition groups,” Lavrov said.
“Not only the Syrian government is responsible for what’s going on now,” he said, “the crisis is also to be blamed on the actions of those people who have not stopped giving money to illegal armed groups, hire mercenaries, help transfer them abroad and flirt with extremists to reach their own goals.”
Moscow wants to hold this conference as soon as possible, but believes that expert meetings with representatives of other countries that also have influence on Syria should be held in advance of the conference.
- Moscow ready to host conference on Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russia to discuss Syria with Iran - Jun 12, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Russia says Annan's mission offers last chance to Syria - Mar 25, 2012
- Russia denies changing its stance on Syria - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia calls for political dialogue in Syria - Aug 25, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Al Qaeda behind Syrian blasts, says Russia - May 14, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, brink, civil conflict, clashes, diplomats, expert meetings, foreign minister, giving money, kofi annan, league of arab states, members of the un security council, mercenaries, novosti, opposition forces, opposition groups, point peace plan, president bashar, saudi arabia, syrian government, un security council