Symonds in prelims squad for T20 World CupApril 3rd, 2009 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, April 3 (IANS) Andrew Symonds and three uncapped players have been selected in Australia’s preliminary 30-man squad for this year’s Twenty20 World Cup in England.
Symonds endured a shocking season and suffered from injury, poor form and controversy in addition to undergoing counselling for personal problems.
The Queenslander has not played for his country since the Boxing Day Test against South Africa.
Batsman Brad Hodge, fast bowler Brett Lee, spinner Jason Krejza and speedster Shaun Tait were also included in the squad.
The three uncapped players are Western Australian spinner Aaron Heal, Victorian batsman Rob Quiney and South Australian wicketkeeper Graham Manou.
Other fringe players to be included are New South Wales all rounder Moises Henriques; Victoria fast bowler Shane Harwood, Queensland duo Ryan Harris and Ben Laughlin, and Tasmanian paceman Brett Geeves.
Symonds’ inclusion will give the 33-year-old the chance to resurrect his international career following his struggles since he was sent home from Darwin last year, when he went fishing instead of attending a team meeting.
He underwent counselling following that episode, but struggled throughout the international summer and then was involved in several alcohol-related controversies this year.
Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland expressed satisfaction with Symonds’ recovery.
“We are satisfied he is committed to doing the things needed of an Australian international cricketer. He has reached a point where it was appropriate to consider him for international selection, subject only to fitness and form,” Sutherland was quoted as saying in Australian media
The preliminary squad will be pruned to 15 in the lead-up to the tournament beginning in June. .
Australian preliminary squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Nathan Bracken, Michael Clarke, Callum Ferguson, Brett Geeves, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Shane Harwood, Nathan Hauritz, Aaron Heal, Moises Henriques, Ben Hilfenhaus, Brad Hodge, James Hopes, David Hussey, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Jason Krejza, Ben Laughlin, Brett Lee, Graham Manou, Shaun Marsh, Rob Quiney, Peter Siddle, Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White.
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- Lee in Australia's preliminary squad for World Twenty20 - Feb 26, 2010
- World T20: Australia axe Pattinson from preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- CA drops David Hussey, Bracken and Clark from contracted players list - Apr 07, 2010
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- This is how 10 teams shape up for IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- Harris, Starc dropped from Windies tour, Haddin recalled - Feb 29, 2012
- This is how the IPL teams will look - Jan 09, 2011
- Warne to lead All Stars in T20 clash - Nov 20, 2009
- Champions League scoreboard: New South Wales vs Victoria Bushrangers - Oct 22, 2009
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Australia opt to field against New Zealand - Feb 25, 2011
- Australia to bat against India - Oct 31, 2009
- Spinners Hauritz, Doherty to face off for World Cup spot - Jan 11, 2011
- Super Kings opt to field against Royals - May 10, 2012
Tags: Andrew Symonds, boxing day test, brett lee, cricket australia, geeves, international selection, james sutherland, melbourne april, nathan bracken, nathan hauritz, new south wales, queenslander, quiney, ryan harris, selection subject, shaun tait, t20 world cup, twenty20 world cup, uncapped players, wicketkeeper