Sydney police being naive about not terming Indian student attacks racist, says councillorJune 9th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, June 9 (ANI): A Parramatta councilor, Michael McDermott, has described police as being naive and irresponsible about the spate of attacks on Indians in Sydney’s west, and saying these assaults have nothing to do with racism.
“There is an element of racial targeting and to not think that would be burying our heads in the sand a wee bit,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted McDermott, as saying.”Parramatta is a multi-ethnic community and it’s something that we celebrate. There’s often an underlying tension between different ethnic groups but within Parramatta we’ve had a very, very good track record of working with those groups to celebrate it. It really saddens me that there’s tensions there at present,” McDermott added.He was speaking after last night’s assault led to a retaliatory attack on three men of Middle Eastern appearance in nearby Marion Street.It came less than a month after a petrol bomb was hurled through the bedroom window of a 25-year-old Indian hospitality graduate just a couple of blocks away in Harris Street.
And, it followed a violent attack on two Sinhalese men in nearby Westmead in the middle of last month.
Indian-born residents make up the second largest population group in Harris Park, after Australian-born residents, 2006 census data show. (ANI)
- Some attacks racist, police in Australia admit amid fresh attacks (Roundup) - Jun 09, 2009
- It's official! Sydney is the sex capital of Australia - Nov 12, 2010
- Bichel doesn't want to be Aussie bowling coach - May 18, 2012
- Indians just innocent victims of crime, Sydney police officer say - Jun 11, 2009
- Tori Spelling rushed to hospital - Oct 31, 2011
- Tori Spelling names daughter - Oct 13, 2011
- McDermott hailed for turning around Australian pace attack - Dec 29, 2011
- Feds arrest, charge California man with threatening WA Congressman McDermott - Jan 13, 2011
- Canadian Celebrity, Dean McDermott, Becomes A Citizen Of The US - Aug 22, 2010
- Another Indian student attacked in Australia - Apr 30, 2010
- Cricket Australia appoints McDermott as bowling coach - May 12, 2011
- Kiwi Spanish resident complains of racist abuse - Jan 16, 2011
- Tori Spelling hopes for a baby boy - Apr 10, 2012
- Tori Spelling's Hubby Dean Mcdermott Gets American Citizenship Officially - Aug 22, 2010
- Olivia Newton John's lost ex-flame 'sends voice clues' - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: bedroom window, census data, different ethnic groups, ethnic community, harris park, harris street, indian hospitality, indians in sydney, largest population, michael mcdermott, parramatta, petrol bomb, population group, retaliatory attack, sinhalese, spate, sydney morning herald, sydney police, violent attack, westmead