Swiss woman abducted in YemenMarch 16th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Aden (Yemen), March 16 (IANS) Suspected Al Qaeda militants have abducted a Swiss woman schoolteacher in Yemen, Xinhua reported.
The woman, in her 30s, was kidnapped from the western province of al-Hodeida and taken to the Al Qaeda stronghold of Shabwa, an official said Friday. She works in a school in the Red Sea city of Hodeida.
Though the Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) is an affiliate of the terror outfit in Yemen, the interior ministry has denied the kidnappers have links with the network, CNN reported.
Officials said the Biahan tribe was demanding the release of two prisoners. A Swiss government team has begun working on getting the woman freed, the Swiss Foreign Office said.
- American gunned down in Yemen - Mar 18, 2012
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Bulgarian envoy to Yemen escapes abduction attempt - May 14, 2012
- Al Qaeda leaders killed in Yemen air strike - May 07, 2012
- Yemeni warplanes bomb Al-Qaeda bases, 18 killed - Mar 19, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat in Yemen makes fresh appeal - Jul 02, 2012
- Al Qaeda providing free electricity in Yemen - May 03, 2012
- Italian embassy staffer kidnapped in Yemen - Jul 30, 2012
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Al-Qaeda making major gains amid political unrest in Yemen: FM Dr Abu Bakr al-Qirbi - Apr 06, 2011
- Al Qaeda guns down American in Yemen (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- French aid worker released in Yemen - Jul 15, 2012
- Terror plot to bomb US-bound plane foiled (Lead) - May 08, 2012
Tags: aden yemen, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, aqap, cnn, foreign office, government team, hodeida, interior ministry, kidnappers, network cnn, red sea, schoolteacher, sea city, swiss government, swiss woman, two prisoners, western province, woman abducted, xinhua, yemen aden