Swiss envoy summoned over US ‘abduction’ of Iranian scientistJune 9th, 2010 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, June 9 (IANS) Iran has summoned the Swiss ambassador to express objection to the abduction of an Iranian scientist allegedly by US intelligence agencies and called for his immediate release, a media report said.
The documents proving abduction of Shahram Amiri, a university researcher working for Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation, were also shown to the Swiss ambassador Tuesday, Mehrnews agency reported.
Iran has no diplomatic relations with the United States and the Swiss embassy protects American interests in Tehran.
Iran said the US has breached the international laws and conventions by kidnapping Amiri and called for his immediate release.
Amiri was kidnapped by American agents during a pilgrimage to the holy city of Medina last year, the report said.
Iran says Saudi Arabia has cooperated in Amiri’s abduction by handing him over to the US.
In a footage showed on Iran’s TV Monday, Amiri said he had been kidnapped and taken to the US where he was tortured.
- 'Abducted' Iranian scientist heads home - Jul 14, 2010
- Iran says "abducted" scholar is not a nuke scientist - Jul 15, 2010
- Iranian n-scientist 'takes refuge' at Pakistan embassy - Jul 13, 2010
- Iran blames CIA for its nuclear scientist's abduction - Jul 05, 2010
- 'Abducted' Iranian nuke scientist visits Pak embassy asking for quick return to Tehran - Jul 13, 2010
- Tehran accuses US of abducting nuclear scientist - Dec 08, 2009
- 'Abducted' Iranian scientist back in Tehran - Jul 15, 2010
- Iranian nuclear scientist suspected to be CIA agent - Jul 16, 2010
- Iranian scientist 'tortured' on suspicion of leaking Tehran information to CIA - Jan 05, 2011
- Iran summons Swiss envoy over abductions in Syria - Aug 07, 2012
- Iranian Nuclear Scientist Case: Contradictory videos crating confusion - Jun 09, 2010
- Iran issues diplomatic note for 'US abducted' nuke scientist - Jun 11, 2010
- Iranian nuke scientist defects to US - Mar 31, 2010
- CIA paid Iranian scientist $5 mn: Report (Lead) - Jul 15, 2010
- US paid Iran nuke scientist 5 million dollars for aid to CIA - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: abduction, american interests, atomic energy, conventions, diplomatic relations, holy city, immediate release, intelligence agencies, mehrnews, objection, pilgrimage, s tv, saudi arabia, scientist, shahram amiri, swiss ambassador, swiss embassy, tehran iran, united states, university researcher