Swedish poet wins 2011 Nobel Prize in LiteratureOctober 6th, 2011 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Stockholm, Oct 6 (IANS) Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer has won the 2011 Nobel Prize in Literature, it was announced Thursday.
“The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2011 is awarded to the Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer ‘because, through his condensed, translucent images, he gives us fresh access to reality’,” said Peter Englund, permanent secretary of Swedish Academy in Stockholm.
Last year’s literature prize went to Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa, reported Xinhua.
Alfred Nobel, a Swedish industrialist who invented dynamite, established the Nobel Prizes in his will in 1895. The first awards were handed out six years later.
This year’s Nobel Prize amounts to 10 million Swedish kronor ($1.46 million).
- Three share Nobel in Medicine - Oct 03, 2011
- Three scientists win Nobel Prize in Physics - Oct 04, 2011
- Israeli scientist wins Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Oct 05, 2011
- Tomas Transtromer wins Nobel Prize for Literature 2011 - Oct 06, 2011
- Peruvian Author Mario Vargas Llosa Honored With Nobel Prize In Literature - Oct 08, 2010
- Peru's Vargas Llosa wins 2010 Nobel Literature prize - Oct 07, 2010
- Nobel for literature to be announced Oct 8 - Oct 02, 2009
- Three women share Nobel Peace Prize - Oct 07, 2011
- U.S. have got maximum number of Nobel Prizes since 1901 - Oct 09, 2010
- Now, a peek into secretive Nobel selection process - Mar 30, 2012
- Herta Mueller wins Nobel for Literature (Second Lead) - Oct 08, 2009
- Bob Dylan is the bookmarker's choice for Nobel Prize in Literature - Oct 06, 2011
- Two Americans share Nobel Prize for Economics - Oct 10, 2011
- 2009 a record year for women Nobel winners - Oct 12, 2009
- Ostrom, Williamson, share Nobel Prize for Economics (Lead) - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: 10 million, alfred nobel, dynamite, images, industrialist, literature prize, mario vargas llosa, nobel prize in literature, nobel prizes, permanent secretary, peruvian writer mario vargas, peter englund, six years, stockholm, swedish academy, swedish kronor, swedish poet, tomas transtromer, writer mario vargas, xinhua