Swedish crematorium to heat houses in surrounding townDecember 21st, 2008 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, December 21 (ANI): A Swedish crematorium has come up with a novel way to harness its furnaces to heat buildings in the surrounding town, instead of letting the energy escape into the environment and cause air pollution.
Lennart Andersson, the director of the cemetery in the town of Halmstad, has revealed that the idea was conceived after a recent environmental review conclusded that the crematorium’’s chimneys were pumping far too much smoke into the air.
“It was when we were discussing all these environmental issues that we started thinking about the energy that is used in the cremations and realised that instead of all that heat just going up into the air, we could make use of it somehow. It was just rising into the skies for nothing. For starters we will heat our own premises. But I hope we can connect to the district heating network in the future,” the Telegraph quoted Andersson as saying.
The newspaper said that the new strategy may also help the crematorium save money because it will not only eliminate the facility’’s own heating bill, but also allow the crematorium to save money on cooling the smoke before it is released into the environment.
Anderson revealed that, so far, the idea has met with approval from locals in the town of 55,000.
“Of course it’’s possible that there will be some discussion about the ethics of this, but from our side, this is a purely environmental idea. There will be no difference in the ashes,” he said.
Town officials say that they may tap into the new energy source by 2010, should the new heating system prove to be successful in the crematorium’’s own facilities. (ANI)
- Brit council plans to warm swimming pool with heat from crematorium - Jan 25, 2011
- Hindus promote electric cremation in Taj city (Letter from Agra) - Jun 01, 2012
- Bestattung Wien Undertakers To Keep Headquarters Warm With Crematorium Heat - Jan 15, 2011
- Pennsylvania Governor Rendell says $11 million program will make heating equipment more affordable - Mar 10, 2010
- Like smoke, Shimla's chimneys fade from skyline (Letter from Shimla) - Feb 16, 2011
- Agra's dilemma over the dead - Apr 04, 2011
- Non-polluting toilets, alternative cremations - green methods for 2011 - Dec 29, 2010
- British town to ban smoking on streets - Jun 30, 2011
- Now, packing material made from mushrooms - Jul 28, 2010
- Taipei funeral parlour uses heat from cremations to brew coffee - Oct 07, 2009
- Webcast at UK crematorium allows relatives to watch funeral online - Apr 06, 2011
- Kerr becomes earth hour ambassador - Mar 14, 2012
- Obama's State of the Union Full Text - Jan 26, 2011
- Firecrackers go green this Diwali - Oct 23, 2011
- Delhi's BSES launches save power campaign - May 24, 2011
Tags: cause air pollution, chimneys, cremations, crematorium, energy source, environmental idea, environmental issues, ethics, furnaces, halmstad, locals, london, new energy, new strategy, novel, premises, realised, starters, telegraph, town officials