Suspected US missile strike kills eight in Pakistan (Lead)May 12th, 2009 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 12 (DPA) A suspected US missile strike Tuesday in Pakistan’s tribal region bordering Afghanistan killed at least eight people, officials and media reports said.
Multiple missiles fired by US pilotless aircraft struck a house in the Sara Khawra village of the South Waziristan district, a known enclave of Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.
The attack killed at least eight people, whose identities were not immediately known, the Urdu-language Aaj television channel reported.
Local administrative officials confirmed the airstrike but did not give any details.
A similar missile strike in the same district Saturday killed five suspected Taliban fighters.
South Waziristan is the stronghold of Al Qaeda-linked militant commander Baitullah Mehsud, who has been accused of ordering a barrage of attacks, including suicide bombings, throughout Pakistan.
Over three dozen US drone attacks in the tribal region since last August have killed more than 350 people, including a number of non-combatants.
Islamabad opposes the drone strikes, saying they are proving counterproductive in the fight against terrorism by causing public anger against the US and the Pakistani governments.
- US drone attack kills four in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- Top Al Qaeda leader killed in US drone attack (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Eight killed by US drones in Pakistan - Oct 16, 2010
- Pakistan demands drone technology from US - Jan 23, 2011
- Nine killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jul 12, 2011
- Drone strike kills three in Pakistan - Nov 19, 2010
- Eight killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- Six militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - May 03, 2010
- Drone attack kills six in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- 16 die in US drone strike in Pakistan - Aug 10, 2011
- US drones kill seven in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike - May 24, 2012
Tags: administrative officials, airstrike, al qaeda, barrage, combatants, drone, enclave, governments, militants, missile strike, missiles, pakistan, public anger, sara, south waziristan district, stronghold, suicide bombings, taliban, television channel, urdu language