Suspected US airstrike kills two in PakistanDecember 16th, 2008 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 16 (DPA) A suspected US drone attack has killed at least two people in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border, an official and local residents said Tuesday.The missile strike, which took place Monday night, targeted a house in Tabi Tolkhel village, about 5 km west of the region’s main town Miranshah, a security official said on condition of anonymity.
“Two people were killed and three others were wounded in the explosion,” the official said.
No information was available about the identity of the victims.
But one villager said a missile destroyed the house of a local tribesman named Ghuncha Gul. He put the casualty figures at three dead and three injured.
Pakistan’s northwestern tribal areas are believed to serve as sanctuaries for Al Qaeda and Taliban militants, who periodically carry out deadly attacks on US-led international troops in Afghanistan.
The US forces stepped up their missile strikes, mainly launched from pilotless Predator aircraft, earlier this year to take out targets on Pakistani soil. More than three dozen raids have been reported since August.
US forces seldom own up to the attacks, which have angered the Pakistani leadership to a point where it has threatened to review the Islamic republic’s cooperation with the US coalition fighting the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan.
Media reports Tuesday said US President George W. Bush had hinted at continuing drone attacks inside Pakistan without consulting authorities in Islamabad.
“You know very well that when it comes to certain matters, the US government doesn’t discuss operations,” Bush told reporters on board his plane as he travelled to Afghanistan Monday.
- US drone attack kills four in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- US drone attacks kill six in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2011
- Six militants killed in US drone strikes in North Waziristan - Nov 01, 2010
- Drone attack kills six in Pakistan (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Nine killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jul 12, 2011
- At least 22 people killed after U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan - Dec 27, 2010
- Top Al Qaeda leader killed in US drone attack (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- Drone strike kills three in Pakistan - Nov 19, 2010
- US resumes drone attacks in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2012
- US drone attack kills 10 in North Waziristan - May 22, 2010
- Drone strikes kill 58 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Four die in US drone attack in Pakistan - Feb 09, 2012
- Five militants killed in US drone strike in Pak's North Waziristan region - Dec 07, 2010
- US drone kills four in Pakistan - May 26, 2012
- 18 killed in Pakistan drone attacks (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010